Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Transfer Times in the Cloud Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:24 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Transfer Times in the Cloud

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1282107
Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:44 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 10:18 AM
Now your getting somewhere!

Earlier, I was under the distinct impression that you liked the cloud services. But because an idea might be good it does not mean the concept created based on that idea is good.
Post #1282166
Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 6:06 AM

SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Thursday, March 27, 2014 8:03 PM
Well, there sure is historical record to look at, if it can be found. IBM ran its Service Bureau (which amounted to a private cloud) for decades. How did its clients get on when trying to get out? Yes, cloud is insidious. Yet another lemming road to ruin. It will be interesting to see whether experience and intelligence will win out. CIO/CTO types do tend to be sheep.
Post #1282294
Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 6:16 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:32 AM
In reality aren't you concerned about ALL of the things you mentioned (Performance, Reliability, Security, Legal, Data independence). Why are people and companies so eager to give away their data?
Post #1282298
Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 6:48 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:31 AM
Another point to consider - what if the company hosting your data goes bankrupt? The receivers will likely turn off the servers abruptly, without giving you any time to extract your data. While you might eventually be able to get your data back, it could take months or even years.

Post #1282321
Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 6:56 AM

SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Thursday, March 27, 2014 8:03 PM
Oddly, this is also one of the argument used against SQL databases: what if XYZ Database Corp. goes under? Let's just continue writing COBOL/java/VB with our own fantastic I/O modules. But, they'll happily give over the data to an outside force, which is what really matters, after all (the code??, not so much).
Post #1282327
Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 8:07 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, April 17, 2014 8:43 AM
I don't like the idea of it at all for the specific reasons you state. You give up complete control going to the cloud. I just don't see the great benefit to this. How can you be 100% satisfied that they are backing up your data and it can be recovered any day of the week?

Post #1282396
Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 8:11 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

IceDread (4/12/2012)
Now your getting somewhere!

Earlier, I was under the distinct impression that you liked the cloud services. But because an idea might be good it does not mean the concept created based on that idea is good.

I like the idea for a few reasons, but so far the implementation has been "meh" to me.

Post #1282401
Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 8:12 AM

SSC-Dedicated

richardd (4/12/2012)
Another point to consider - what if the company hosting your data goes bankrupt? The receivers will likely turn off the servers abruptly, without giving you any time to extract your data. While you might eventually be able to get your data back, it could take months or even years.

Write an escrow of the data into your contract. Require a regular copy that is available under any legal filing. We've done this in the past with source code from smaller vendors.

Post #1282403
Posted Thursday, April 12, 2012 11:41 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 9:08 AM
I have a slightly different viewpoint on the subject. I work for a company providing cloud hosting services to our customers.

We set up our customer environments such that they get visibility into the entire VM with full Win and SQL admin rights, no different than if they were running on a physical server. They're free to import/export data, copy off their backup files, replicate/logship/mirror to a DR target, or any other activity that keeps their data safe according to their unique business requirements. And, if the customer leaves they're free to take their data with them.

As with any cloud, sure there are tradeoffs with having your data living in a shared environment. It's a deal-breaker for some companies, a non-issue for others. Being a DBA myself, I certainly understand the aversion around placing your data "out there somewhere", but we do run our own internal databases on our own cloud environment without any problems.

One benefit with cloud that is not always obvious to customers is that we can host hundreds of virtual servers in the same cabinet space as a few dozen physical, and that's a cost savings we can pass on. That makes cloud very attractive.

Post #1282635
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse