Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Upgrading Your Career Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, February 11, 2012 8:49 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 3:11 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Upgrading Your Career

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1250829
Posted Sunday, February 12, 2012 6:45 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, December 14, 2014 5:35 AM
Three comments come to mind, which do not invalidate your point, but does put it in perspective for some of us

MCM is not really open to us in the third-world, where I gather a fair portion of your readership comes from

Even were it to be available, the price (after currency conversion) relative to salary or contracting rates would make it way unattractive. Any potential increase in salary or rate would need to be written off over way too long a period

If I look down your list of MCMs, it is mainly big corporates, or Microsoft itself. Wake me up again once it becomes viable for people in their personal capacity; I could just become interested if I am still young enough
Post #1250890
Posted Sunday, February 12, 2012 4:19 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Sunday, September 8, 2013 5:39 PM
Certification isn't just a "nice to have" - it's a hard requirement for certain partner levels. For example, if you want to attain MS Gold Parter in BI, one of the options states:

Your organization must employ or contract with four unique MCP's who each hold at least one of the following certifications:
- MCITP: Business Intelligence Developer 2008
- MCM: Microsoft SQL Server 2008

Effective May 2012, certification requirements will be:

-Two of the four MCP's must each hold the MCITP: Business Intelligence Developer 2008 certification.
-The other two MCP's must each successfully complete one of the following:
--MCITP: Business Intelligence Developer 2008
--MCM: Microsoft SQL Server 2008
--Exam 70-576: PRO: Designing and Developing Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Applications

See how the MCM certification has been inserted as an option? I would not be surprised if this becomes a hard requirement in a future version of the Gold partner program.

Anyway, having a certification in no way qualifies you for anything but it does have tangible benefits and has value in certain circles. In this context, it's definitely a worthy career goal.

James Stover, McDBA
Post #1250967
Posted Sunday, February 12, 2012 6:53 PM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Monday, December 15, 2014 3:02 AM
tony.turner (2/12/2012)
MCM is not really open to us in the third-world (...) Even were it to be available, the price (after currency conversion) relative to salary or contracting rates would make it way unattractive.

Unfortunately I can't agree more. When I read about Brazilian MCMs I can't help but think that they must be rich guys or have a rich family to support them.

Best regards,

Andre Guerreiro Neto

Database Analyst
http://www.softplan.com.br
MCITPx1/MCTSx2/MCSE/MCSA
Post #1250975
Posted Sunday, February 12, 2012 8:49 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Sunday, September 8, 2013 5:39 PM
codebyo (2/12/2012)
tony.turner (2/12/2012)
MCM is not really open to us in the third-world (...) Even were it to be available, the price (after currency conversion) relative to salary or contracting rates would make it way unattractive.

Unfortunately I can't agree more. When I read about Brazilian MCMs I can't help but think that they must be rich guys or have a rich family to support them.

I have to say I'm a little perplexed by the MCM certification. The feedback from a big slice of the partner community has been....less than receptive. I can understand the MCA to an extent (for very big partners, MS Consulting or select MS Evangelists doing things like SQL Parallel DW w/Hadoop proof-of-concepts). But the MCM...meh. What's in it for me? I'd love to hear some thoughts on it.

James Stover, McDBA
Post #1250981
Posted Monday, February 13, 2012 6:23 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Today @ 6:49 AM
I have always held that having certifications in general do not mean anything, however NOT having the certifications means a whole lot.

Having them: yeah...great...you took an exam... so what.

Not having them: You cannot even be bothered to take a silly exam and pass? Especially when the next three candidates have them.
Post #1251150
Posted Monday, February 13, 2012 7:49 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:03 PM
Mike Palecek (2/13/2012)
I have always held that having certifications in general do not mean anything, however NOT having the certifications means a whole lot.

Not having them: You cannot even be bothered to take a silly exam and pass? Especially when the next three candidates have them.

Those two cancel each other out in my opinion. As long as braindumps are available to pass these exams, I give very little weight to them.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1251210
Posted Monday, February 13, 2012 10:00 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 3:11 PM
codebyo (2/12/2012)
tony.turner (2/12/2012)

Perhaps, but in the US it isn't large companies that have all the MCMs. Simon Sabin and Denny Cherry are independent consultants. They either viewed this as a way to bill a higher rate, or perhaps just a milestone for their careers. Jonathan Kehayias worked for a hospital. Argenis works for Coinstar, not a huge company.

There are some that work for MS or large companies, but many haven't. Whether they view this similar to a degree, prep for more billing, an investment that pays back later, or a hobby/personal goal, it's up to them. If you think the $3k for the tests is an investment that needs to pay you back $3k this year, you're looking at it wrong.

Any certification you study for, or even any skill you practice on and learn, is an upgrade for your career and an investment in improving your skills. It doesn't necessarily pay back right away.

That being said, if you think it's not worth the certification in your country, that's fine. Don't sit for it, or lobby MS to change the pricing based on your economy.

The point of the piece was to get you to think about improving your career, not necessarily sitting for a certification.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1251316
Posted Monday, February 13, 2012 10:52 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Friday, December 19, 2014 9:19 PM
Mike Palecek (2/13/2012)

That's an interesting way to look at it. I agree that the certificate itself shouldn't be the goal. I made the point here that what's important is being able to discuss what you did to learn the material en route to certification, and how well you know it. That's what sets you apart from the other 'certified but inexperienced' people.

Peter Maloof
Serving Data
Post #1251358
Posted Monday, February 13, 2012 11:49 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:03 PM
Perhaps, but in the US it isn't large companies that have all the MCMs.

They have most of them though. Of the 47 current MCAs and MCMs in SQL Server in the US and Canada that are listed on their public directory site, 33 of them are Microsoft employees alone and I highly doubt they are paying the same prices for the MCM and MCA certifications everyone else is paying.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1251407
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse