Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Indexed Views Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, April 27, 2014 7:45 PM
Learned something new today even though I missed the question. Thanks for submitting.

http://brittcluff.blogspot.com/
Post #1250239
Posted Friday, February 10, 2012 8:16 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:13 PM
Thanks for the question and like the answer options very much
Post #1250345
Posted Friday, February 10, 2012 8:22 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

sknox (2/10/2012)
Hugo Kornelis (2/10/2012)
I hate questions where I have to second-guess the author. Did the author mean that the optimizer would choose to use the indexed view automatically? Or did he mean that you could make the optimizer use it by using hints? I took a 50% chance gamble, and I chose wrong.

If I'd meant automatically, I'd have said automatically.

+1
Post #1250354
Posted Friday, February 10, 2012 8:28 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

sknox (2/10/2012)

BTW, now that I am posting anyway - there is one word in the explanation is wrong: "The query optimizer in lower editions will only consider the indexed view if you use the NOEXPAND table hint" (emphasis mine) - this is incorrect. With the NOEXPAND hint, the optimizer will not consider the indexed view; this hint forces the optimizer to use the indexed view. Enterprise edition (and developer edition) is the only place where the optimizer will consider the indexed view as one of multiple options, and choose the cheapest.

Yes, that is incorrect, but I think you've picked the wrong word(s) to correct. The intended meaning was "The query optimizer in lower editions will only consider the indexes on the view if you use the NOEXPAND table hint." The reason I used the word consider is that NOEXPAND does not force the use of a particular index, it only tells SQL server not to refer back to the original table.

Using NOEXPAND hint, says the optimizer to consider the index and it won't force its usage. To force a particular index usage, the optional INDEX() clause need to be used.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181151.aspx
Post #1250356
Posted Friday, February 10, 2012 8:37 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 3:56 PM
SathishK (2/10/2012)
Using NOEXPAND hint, says the optimizer to consider the index and it won't force its usage. To force a particular index usage, the optional INDEX() clause need to be used.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181151.aspx

Using NOEXPAND means that the optimizer may not use any index on the underlying base table(s). The only freedom the optimizer has is to choose which of the indexes on the view to use. And I have never seen a real-world case where there was more than a single index on a view.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Post #1250366
Posted Friday, February 10, 2012 8:48 AM
UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Last Login: Tuesday, September 2, 2014 11:51 AM
Good Question, I guessed right as I haven't worked wtih 2012 at all.
Post #1250378
Posted Friday, February 10, 2012 9:22 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:53 AM
interesting question - tks
Post #1250402
Posted Friday, February 10, 2012 9:29 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:51 PM
thanks for the question.

Hugo, thanks for the discussion points.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1250414
Posted Friday, February 10, 2012 9:38 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Monday, October 27, 2014 8:55 AM
sknox (2/10/2012)
Hugo Kornelis (2/10/2012)
I hate questions where I have to second-guess the author. Did the author mean that the optimizer would choose to use the indexed view automatically? Or did he mean that you could make the optimizer use it by using hints? I took a 50% chance gamble, and I chose wrong.

If I'd meant automatically, I'd have said automatically.

You might do that. However, there have been several examples of questions where a detail like that was left out of the question. I would have liked the question more if it had been clear that the "automatically" was intentionally left out. I guessed at the meaning right but still got it wrong because I thought that indexed views weren't supported at all in Express, both by initial guess and after research. Which means that I learned something from from it so thank you. I'm looking forward to the article.
Post #1250421
Posted Friday, February 10, 2012 9:42 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, November 20, 2014 8:13 AM
Hugo
And I have never seen a real-world case where there was more than a single index on a view

Does that mean that there couldn't be more than one? Does that also mean that the index hint will n ot work?

Steve Jimmo
Sr DBA
“If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Post #1250422
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse