Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Try Some New Tools This Month Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, January 26, 2012 11:36 PM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 10:53 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Try Some New Tools This Month

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #1242602
Posted Friday, January 27, 2012 6:44 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:34 PM
I use the sysinternals suite of utilities virtually every day. I'm more like a production dba and troubleshooter then a developer. I'd like to start using a wikii at home, though I haven't found the one to start on yet.
Post #1242799
Posted Friday, January 27, 2012 6:54 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, July 7, 2014 7:51 AM
Greetings,

I remember using DropBox back when it was still beta. Definitely a great program to have. Unfortunately, I can't use it at my current worksite. A few programs that I do use are IrfanView (link) and NotePad++ (link). IrfanView is a speedy graphics viewer with some simple editing abilities. I use it for converting graphic types or saving screen shots easily. Also works fast when loading and viewing a directory of graphic files. NotePad++ is a very nice multi tabbed text editor with a large number of options and extras. One of the few text editors that can do columnar cut and paste. Both of these programs carry a cost that is suitable to the thrifty developer or DBA - FREE!

Take care all.

Terry Steadman
Post #1242809
Posted Friday, January 27, 2012 7:09 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:54 AM
I like several free apps...

doPDF7... virtual pdf print driver or cutepdf
foxit reader... quick pdf reader
7zip... for compression
Q-dir... alternative to windows explorer

Agent ransack... alternative search tool; not indexed
Post #1242825
Posted Friday, January 27, 2012 7:27 AM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 10:23 AM
Free Tools:

Notepad ++
CSVed
gpg4win
FileZilla
WinSCP
Mercurial
TortoiseHg
SQLite
Mono
Post #1242842
Posted Friday, January 27, 2012 7:28 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 8:58 PM
The Most important piece of software I have is VMWare Workstation, I have used it for over 10 years and don't think I could compute with out it
Post #1242843
Posted Friday, January 27, 2012 7:29 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Sunday, November 18, 2012 10:58 PM
As a jr. SQL dev, I had never gotten the chance to use some of the redgate tools. Earlier this month I checked out SQL Search (http://bit.ly/e6JRtf), and wow, just wow! Hopefully in the future I will get to be able to use some of their non-free stuff

Also, starting up my own company with some buddies of mine we had a need for free project collaboration/management (startup with no angel fund... just yet!). So after scoping and exploring for something that was so easy a dingo could do it (buddies are not tech savvy), I came across two sites that rock!

For coordination of tasks, schedules, events, files, etc, we started using www.hitask.com. It is fantastic and free! Very user friendly. Never once did I have to read the help page except for a few advanced stuff recently.

For collaboration we found www.vyew.com. Thanks to the kids at berkely on this one! Simple, awesome, and amazing whiteboard-style meeting web app. Not only can you do mic/webcam for meetings, but also import files, pics, screenshots, or webpages and doodle/write on them. Plus the awesome whiteboard and... its free.
Post #1242844
Posted Friday, January 27, 2012 7:41 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, March 6, 2014 1:05 PM
Andy, speaking of Password Managers. The best FREE Password Manager I have found is KeePass. A DBA has to manage alot of changing passwords and he/she has to have a good secure repository to keep them and this is the best I have found yet and it is FREE and OSI certified as well. It also has a great Password Generator too.

http://keepass.info/

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #1242856
Posted Friday, January 27, 2012 7:59 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Thursday, August 14, 2014 7:52 AM
Notepad++
RedGate SQLCompare
RedGate SQLSearch

All are indispensible tools in my book.
Post #1242873
Posted Friday, January 27, 2012 8:10 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 2:50 PM
The utility I use more than any other is SlickRun, a command/application launcher that saves me a ton of time every day. By typing a two or three-letter combination, I can launch any application, URL, folder -- anything!

http://www.bayden.com/slickrun/
Post #1242893
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse