Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Adding a new instance on a existing cluster Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, September 25, 2013 3:20 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, April 18, 2014 12:00 PM
MarkusB (12/29/2011)
Just run the setup and install a new clustered instance.
It's not really different from installing the first instance.

Hi MarkusB,

My question pertains to SQL Server 2012, but I haven't received a single reply to my post in the 2012 forum, so I figured I'd ask you in this thread since you appear to have experience with adding more than one instance to a SQL cluster.

I have a Windows Failover Cluster setup across 3 nodes with only 1 service/application running on it - which is SQL Server 2012. Everything works great, however now I need to add another SQL instance for an entirely different project. I have added an additional iSCSI volume to the failover cluster and it shows up just fine. At this point, how to I add an additional instance of SQL 2012 to this cluster using the new storage disk?

I assume I'd just pop the SQL Server 2012 disc in one of the nodes and install a new SQL Server Cluster instance and then go around to the rest of the nodes and just use the 'add node' option, but I just wanted to verify first. I attempted to do this and got cold feet when it came to the part about installing the setup and support files. The reason I got cold feet was because we have a group of people using the existing SQL 2012 instance and I didn't want to disrupt anything.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Post #1498601
Posted Thursday, September 26, 2013 8:37 AM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:54 AM

I assume I'd just pop the SQL Server 2012 disc in one of the nodes and install a new SQL Server Cluster instance and then go around to the rest of the nodes and just use the 'add node' option, but I just wanted to verify first.

That's exactly how you do it.
Because you now have two instances and may want to run them on separate nodes, you should adjust the preferred owner list in cluster manager. Also remember to adjust the max memory settings, in case you have to run both instances on one node.

Markus Bohse
Post #1498889
Posted Thursday, September 26, 2013 9:46 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, April 18, 2014 12:00 PM
Ok great. So just put the disc in one of the nodes and select "New SQL Server failover cluster installation" and then just run through the entire install and it won't affect the current SQL Cluster instance at all?

Thanks so much!
Post #1498936
Posted Friday, September 27, 2013 3:44 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 1:29 PM
arr.nagaraj (1/3/2012)
Yes. 'Preferably' additional msdtc and cluster group.

do we require seperate quorum ?
Post #1499282
Posted Friday, September 27, 2013 6:18 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Friday, September 26, 2014 6:02 AM
No, only 1 quorum per cluster.

Post #1499343
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse