Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Moving to a SAN, but the sizing concept doesn't sound right.... Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, December 8, 2011 2:57 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 3:27 AM
Whoever designed that is making the standard mistake of specing for space, not performance. Grab a copy of 'Troubleshooting SQL Server' by Jonathan Kehayias and check out chapter 2 where he discussed this mistake and the consequences thereof (free download from RedGate or buy paper from Amazon)

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1218469
Posted Thursday, December 8, 2011 8:45 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 12:11 AM
Elliott Whitlow (12/7/2011)
SQLRNNR (12/7/2011)
The local drive is far to small (Server 2008 R2 for instance will chew up most of that 50GB for just the OS).
Not sure I agree with that.. I would expect 50GB to be about right, provided that NO system databases are allowed on the OS drives, which is my policy. I have quite a few installs of SQL 2008R2 on Win 2008R2 and I expect the base install with required components AND the components of SQL that must be installed on C: to use up right about 20GB + the page file.. I have seen this over and over again.. And I still have sufficient space for SPs of the OS..

CEWII

Hmmm. Odd, our installs were consistently 35-38GB. Granted still enough space on a 50GB drive.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1218674
Posted Thursday, December 8, 2011 8:45 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 12:11 AM
GilaMonster (12/8/2011)
Whoever designed that is making the standard mistake of specing for space, not performance. Grab a copy of 'Troubleshooting SQL Server' by Jonathan Kehayias and check out chapter 2 where he discussed this mistake and the consequences thereof (free download from RedGate or buy paper from Amazon)

Great resource (the book too).

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #1218676
Posted Thursday, December 8, 2011 8:58 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Thursday, October 9, 2014 1:02 PM
SQLRNNR (12/8/2011)
Elliott Whitlow (12/7/2011)
SQLRNNR (12/7/2011)
The local drive is far to small (Server 2008 R2 for instance will chew up most of that 50GB for just the OS).
Not sure I agree with that.. I would expect 50GB to be about right, provided that NO system databases are allowed on the OS drives, which is my policy. I have quite a few installs of SQL 2008R2 on Win 2008R2 and I expect the base install with required components AND the components of SQL that must be installed on C: to use up right about 20GB + the page file.. I have seen this over and over again.. And I still have sufficient space for SPs of the OS..

Hmmm. Odd, our installs were consistently 35-38GB. Granted still enough space on a 50GB drive.
Hmm, not sure what to tell you do you guys install a lot of extra software? Use really big page files? Have extra install binaries left on C? Kind of running short on ideas here..

As an aside I have an R2 running Hyper-V fitting fully onto a 32GB SSD for a test machine.

CEWII
Post #1218694
Posted Thursday, December 8, 2011 1:06 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:13 PM
GilaMonster (12/8/2011)

Excellent book (just finished a quick scan of chapter 2, will reread it in detail)! Thank you for the link!
And I agree, it seems like our vendor will focus on space mainly. Unfortunately, I'm "just a production guy" who's not supposed to have any voice regarding hardware spec. They think.

So I might need to focus on "hard facts" by testing the he** out of the SAN (after a lot more reading, of course)...

Lutz
A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question
How to post performance related questions
Links for Tally Table , Cross Tabs and Dynamic Cross Tabs , Delimited Split Function
Post #1218915
Posted Thursday, December 8, 2011 1:36 PM

SSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 1:53 AM
Here's another great resource by Brent Ozar that may get you on track tackling potential problems with san configurations for sqlserver
http://www.brentozar.com/sql/sql-server-san-best-practices/

Johan

Don't drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
but keeping both feet on the ground won't get you anywhere

- How to post Performance Problems
- How to post data/code to get the best help

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt ?

"press F1 for solution", "press shift+F1 for urgent solution"

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me
Post #1218932
Posted Thursday, December 8, 2011 1:42 PM

SSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:13 PM
ALZDBA (12/8/2011)
Here's another great resource by Brent Ozar that may get you on track tackling potential problems with san configurations for sqlserver
http://www.brentozar.com/sql/sql-server-san-best-practices/

Yup, that's my first source. Now that Gail pointed me to Jonathans book, the number of sources just doubled

Lutz
A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question
How to post performance related questions
Links for Tally Table , Cross Tabs and Dynamic Cross Tabs , Delimited Split Function
Post #1218937
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse