Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

A Welcome Intruder Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 8:50 AM
jay holovacs (12/2/2011)
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (12/2/2011)
GSquared (12/2/2011)

We were also attacked by Annonymous a while back, but when they failed to accomplish anything, they changed targets. I guess that counts too.

Good for you. A few others were not as lucky.

I'm not sure how anyone would actually know they were unsuccessfully attacked by anonymous. There are plenty of wannabes out there. The only real way to tell is if the attacker is actually unmasked and investigated.

You can tell if you are running a decoy server. If they get on the decoy and attempts to break in cease, you can chalk that one up as as thwarted attempt.
Post #1215553
Posted Friday, December 2, 2011 10:55 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 12:43 PM
jay holovacs (12/2/2011)
Steve Jones - SSC Editor (12/2/2011)
GSquared (12/2/2011)

We were also attacked by Annonymous a while back, but when they failed to accomplish anything, they changed targets. I guess that counts too.

Good for you. A few others were not as lucky.

I'm not sure how anyone would actually know they were unsuccessfully attacked by anonymous. There are plenty of wannabes out there. The only real way to tell is if the attacker is actually unmasked and investigated.

Trust me, it's a known thing. Can't go into details, but we definitely were unsuccessfully attacked a while back, and it was definitely that group. Any more than that would violate NDAs, but there's no doubt on this one.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #1215588
Posted Friday, December 2, 2011 11:08 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Friday, August 22, 2014 8:50 AM
GSquared (12/2/2011)
. . . Any more than that would violate NDAs, but there's no doubt on this one.

I think that is the limitation of the discussion on this topic: if you really do something about security, you are not allowed to talk about it, and even less share what happened or did not happen and with what outcome.
Post #1215600
Posted Friday, December 2, 2011 11:09 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, August 21, 2014 1:54 PM
We use scanning software against our sites and we have also had third parties run scans and other penetration attempts. From this we have made a number of improvements to our security layers.

The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival.
Post #1215603
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse