Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Where should the DBA position be in the IT structure? Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, November 17, 2011 8:16 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
SQLRNNR (11/17/2011)
Jack Corbett (11/17/2011)
To get back to the original question, Jason and Remi .

I think we need more information about what your job duties are supposed to be before anyone can really say where you should be.

If you are an operational DBA, meaning mostly backups, monitoring, patches, applying best practices, security, then I think you should be in the Server & Network group, but not necessarily a domain admin.

If you are doing more development (sp's, database design, etc...) and T-SQL tuning then you should be more closely aligned with the application development group.

If you have to do it all, then you really should be your own group and report directly to the head of the IT department.

These are just my opinions and how I'd want to be aligned based on duties. Ideally I'd like to be in the last option.

Don't forget the work from home dba. Part of their duties is to do the dishes.

And laundry, mow the lawn, BBQ. Go fish, etc.

Busy days around here on the lake .

Glad we're back on topic.
Post #1207562
Posted Thursday, November 17, 2011 8:18 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:37 PM
Ninja's_RGR'us (11/17/2011)
SQLRNNR (11/17/2011)
Jack Corbett (11/17/2011)
To get back to the original question, Jason and Remi .

I think we need more information about what your job duties are supposed to be before anyone can really say where you should be.

If you are an operational DBA, meaning mostly backups, monitoring, patches, applying best practices, security, then I think you should be in the Server & Network group, but not necessarily a domain admin.

If you are doing more development (sp's, database design, etc...) and T-SQL tuning then you should be more closely aligned with the application development group.

If you have to do it all, then you really should be your own group and report directly to the head of the IT department.

These are just my opinions and how I'd want to be aligned based on duties. Ideally I'd like to be in the last option.

Don't forget the work from home dba. Part of their duties is to do the dishes.

And laundry, mow the lawn, BBQ. Go fish, etc.

Busy days around here on the lake .

Glad we're back on topic.

Watch the kids
Change diapers

This topic covers a lot of ground.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1207569
Posted Thursday, November 17, 2011 8:20 AM

SSC-Insane

SQLRNNR (11/17/2011)

I'm so glad you qualified what covered that much ground. I had a totally different picture in my head at first
Post #1207572
Posted Thursday, November 17, 2011 8:23 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 9:07 AM
Ah, I can always count on SSC for a laugh.

The work from home DBA is what I aspire to be. Hopefully that will happen soon.

I don't have to change diapers though, my kids are older than that now. I'll be the next one in diapers in my house.

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
Post #1207578
Posted Thursday, November 17, 2011 8:28 AM

SSC-Insane

Ninja's_RGR'us (11/17/2011)
SQLRNNR (11/17/2011)

I'm so glad you qualified what covered that much ground. I had a totally different picture in my head at first

And the very notificaton in my box is by "Tom Brown".

What else could it have been, really?

Post #1207581
Posted Monday, December 5, 2011 1:53 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, July 9, 2013 9:03 AM
The Database Administration group stands alone. The DBA cannot report directly to the manager of software development. This creates a conflict of interest. This alignment allows the manager of development to direct the duties of the DBA. A software manager may desire to bypass change management or override the recommendations of the Database Management team. Tasks and projects need to be discussed rather than assigned.

The Database Administration group should also not be under networking. A Networking Manager typically does not understand enough about databases to accurately plan for projects and tasks.

The database group works WITH all groups and needs to stand alone in the organizational structure reporting to IT Management.

In large meetings, the database group needs accurate representation for proper planning. If they do not stand alone in the org, who will be able to discuss what type of hardware is warranted? DR issues? availability? Scalability? These issues differ dramatically when you are dealing with a file server, mail server or database server.

Certainly the software engineers are NOT qualified to speak on behalf of the database backend.
Post #1216672
Posted Tuesday, December 6, 2011 12:18 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Monday, June 9, 2014 6:13 PM
That is one of the better comments I have seen on any tech forum. I agree and I appreciate the feedback.

Steve
Post #1216795
Posted Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:08 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Monday, May 19, 2014 2:44 AM
Flavours of DBA? No wonder I felt the strain for many years juggling the Admin side, the dev side AND the BI side! Sometimes my brain melts when I read up a new area of SQL that I've never touched yet seems to be used by everyone.
Post #1239069
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse