Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Performance Monitoring with Dynamic Management Views Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, November 17, 2011 7:41 AM

Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, November 1, 2012 12:40 PM
Ron,

Thanks for taking the time to write an article using a real world example of why DMVs can be much more powerful than their Performance Monitor counterpart.

Would you say that best use case of DMVs over performance monitor & SQL Profiler would be that the recorded data can be better used as a central repository for various SQL instances (like in your 50 geographical location) case?

I typically use just performance monitor to do these things, and I'm not too sure of the best use cases for using DMVs over them, other than preference.

Lastly, the counters you provided, do you recommend to monitor these 24x7 or just in re-active cases or scheduled pro-active cases (e.g., on the 1st day of every month for 24 hours).

Post #1207524
Posted Thursday, November 17, 2011 8:19 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, September 25, 2014 9:08 AM
Thanks much for the article Ron. For the perfmon counters where can I get the threshold values.

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.” -- John Quincy Adams
Post #1207571
Posted Thursday, November 17, 2011 8:23 AM

Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Sapen,

I recommend using this for that:
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled (Expert's Voice in SQL Server)

Chapter 2 specifically.

One key thing is that the thresholds are best determined by comparing to a baseline you create. The baseline being what metrics look like under normal operating conditions (when things are going smooth).

Post #1207575
Posted Thursday, November 17, 2011 10:41 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 10:43 AM
Truly well written article. I personally was researching plans to setup something similar and your article has just made that job so much easier for me.
Post #1207738
Posted Thursday, November 17, 2011 11:07 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 5:42 PM
Agreed, I have tried this link in both Firefox and IE and receive the same error:

"File does not begin with '%PDF-".
Post #1207765
Posted Thursday, November 17, 2011 12:53 PM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Thursday, September 18, 2014 10:44 AM
Excellent, Thank you, Ron. Briefcased this one.

Post #1207841
Posted Thursday, November 17, 2011 2:37 PM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:35 AM
Hello Ron,

I tried to download the paper referenced in your article, "SQL Server Instance Health Monitoring Tool,"
http://rjssqlservernotes.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/sqlserverinstancehealthmonitor.pdf

located at this page:
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Performance+Tuning/71784/

But I get an error: "File does not begin with '%PDF-'

Do you -- or does anyone else -- have a working link to this paper? I'm eager to read it.

Thanks for any help.

webrunner

-------------------
"Operator! Give me the number for 911!" - Homer Simpson

"A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and says 'Can I join you?'"
Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html
Post #1207937
Posted Thursday, November 17, 2011 4:39 PM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:09 AM
Hi,

Thanks man for merging this stuff into one article.

DBA's might already know these Performance Counter and most of them are using them as well but may be not quite often. However, such articles gives more insight to a novice.

This article must be meant for beginners and for those who are still reluctant to start the DMVs.

Here, i must suggest that please include the recommended threshold values of those counter.

Reading the values and collecting the data is one thing, however, taking action on that data is only possible if one know what are recommended guidelines and what are the Best or worst level of thresholds which needs further actions from a DBA.

Thanks.
Post #1208016
Posted Friday, November 18, 2011 1:05 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, September 15, 2014 8:58 AM
Dear Ron,

The link for In our paper, SQL Server Instance Health Monitoring Tool, dit not work.
Get error "file dit not start with %PDF"

Peter
Post #1208122
Posted Friday, November 18, 2011 6:19 AM

Forum Newbie

@ Old Hand,

I recommend using this for that:
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled (Expert's Voice in SQL Server)

Chapter 2 specifically.

One key thing is that the thresholds are best determined by comparing to a baseline you create. The baseline being what metrics look like under normal operating conditions (when things are going smooth).
Post #1208293
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse