Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Stairway to SQL Server Agent - Level 12: Using MSX/TSX to scale out Job Management Expand / Collapse
Author
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, May 30, 2014 11:41 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Stairway to SQL Server Agent - Level 12: Using MSX/TSX to scale out Job Management

Post #1197708
Posted Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:10 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Friday, December 19, 2014 7:39 AM
This is nice article..

when i tried to implement the Enlist and Ensure process doesn't work. so do i have to make any security changes ?

Aim to inspire rather than to teach.
SQL Server DBA
Post #1256084
Posted Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:26 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, May 30, 2014 11:41 AM
Are the service accounts the same? What was the exact error you got?

Post #1256363
Posted Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:15 AM
Old Hand

Last Login: Friday, December 19, 2014 7:39 AM
Says Access Denied..

Aim to inspire rather than to teach.
SQL Server DBA
Post #1256640
Posted Friday, September 6, 2013 1:45 AM
Grasshopper

Last Login: Monday, December 1, 2014 3:05 AM
What are some of the bigger MSX/TSX deployments out there? Are there upper limits? Has anyone done or seen large scale enterprise deployments?

Post #1492073
Posted Monday, April 21, 2014 3:13 PM
Old Hand

Last Login: Wednesday, December 3, 2014 1:53 PM
I would like to use a master job to deploy maintenance scripts. One of the requirements is to stagger the schedule. For example, separate the DBCC a few minutes for instances sharing the same set of disks (either on direct attached disk or on a SAN). I can't think of a way to do this except perhaps to create a master job that creates and schedules a regular job. Sure would be nice if there was an option to add some customization for each target.

Also, when supporting 2008+, do you have to use a SQL 2008 server for the master? Can you use SQL 2012 with jobs provided everything in the job is compatible with a SQL 2008 system?

Randy
"Perhaps I'm not the only one that does not know what you are doing."
Post #1563631
Posted Monday, April 21, 2014 3:25 PM
Old Hand

I also noticed that there is no option to run the MSX job on the master. The master can't enlist itself or another master. It appears I will need to keep a duplicate copy of the maintenance jobs (different names) on the master server. It's a nice feature, but would be a lot nicer if it had a little flexibility.

Randy
Post #1563635
Posted Monday, April 21, 2014 10:20 PM
Grasshopper

Hi

To stagger the jobs on the different target servers you would have to, in the 1st job step for example, have a 'randomizer' based on the host name.
Eg:
DECLARE @HostN VARCHAR(128) = @@ServerName
IF @HostN = ServerA WAITFOR DELAY '00:01:00'
Etc

Post #1563673
Posted Monday, April 21, 2014 10:25 PM
Grasshopper

Re the 2012 / 2008 question. Yes, you can use a SQL 2012 MSX server and enlist 2008 R1 and R2 and SQL 2005 servers if you have those still. Obviously be aware of using 2008 or above features in jobs that will target 2005 servers. These will not work. What works quite well is to create Target server groups, see BOL for detail. You could then create a 2005 group if this is an issue. You can also populate your Target server groups from a SQL CMS server which may have groups defined in it.

Post #1563676
Posted Tuesday, April 22, 2014 1:16 PM
Old Hand

I was thinking of a waitfor, but that would make the run time information harder to use. I want to know how long the backup takes, for example. If it runs 20 minutes rather than 10 minutes, I will want investigate. However, perhaps the metric is the actual end time of the last backup - one metric for all servers. I could also create a report that gets the backup times directly instead.

In the long run, I was hoping the master job script can include a list of average runtimes. (With a job that collects this data and updates the job being deployed.) I suppose I could collect the second step time from each instance and create a wait that depends on the sum from instances "scheduled" before it (e.g., those prior in the list).

I also can't have it completely random because of other non-maintenance jobs. However, I do like the idea. It would be an easy way to handle some of the servers on the SAN.

Randy
Post #1564001
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse