Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Does It Help Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:16 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Does It Help

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1190316
Posted Friday, October 14, 2011 3:50 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, October 31, 2011 7:48 AM
2 monitors are best for me by far - and 3 would be ideal
Post #1190399
Posted Friday, October 14, 2011 4:04 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 9:04 AM
Some of my colleagues have preferred a widescreen - no, I do not get that. Dual anyday, but each to their own.
Post #1190402
Posted Friday, October 14, 2011 4:53 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 3:33 AM
Definitely 2 monitors.

I often have to review scripts - sometimes many, many scripts. Being able to have a file manager one one screen and SSMS on the other is a great help.

Or SSMS on one, BOL on the other, or SSMS and a web browser.

I've used dual monitors for years at home and wouldn't want to work any other way now.

Finally got a Tablet as well to replace the mouse at work. No more RSI.

DBA (Dogsbody with Bad Attitude)
Post #1190435
Posted Friday, October 14, 2011 6:01 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, January 17, 2013 8:14 AM
Definitely 2 monitors. I do alot of DB and SharePoint work and I have found the most helpful setup for me at work is to have one machine and one monitor in dev and have another setup in production with one monitor that way I can look at changes in dev and compre them when I apply in production or have to troubleshoot issues from one domain to the other.
I feel hadicapped a little when I only use one monitor now...
Post #1190467
Posted Friday, October 14, 2011 6:01 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, May 16, 2014 3:09 AM
2 monitors is definitely better, though I'd like to try 3!

I've a 27" and 24" screens, both 1920* resolution, but it still never seems enough with the vast quantity of information and surrounding tools to see, esp in Visual Studio 2010.

Post #1190469
Posted Friday, October 14, 2011 6:13 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, September 22, 2014 1:55 AM
At Logica, we are issued with laptops rather than desktop machines, an arrangement I
am happy with. They provide monitors too so we don't have to use a small laptop screen,
but everyone I know has it set up as 2 different screens. My work monitor is 1280x1024,
but I use a 1920x1080 at home. Using the laptop without another monitor seems very restrictive
now. I would cheerfully use 3 or even 4 monitors, if the hardware and OS supported it.
Post #1190477
Posted Friday, October 14, 2011 6:28 AM

Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 6:28 AM
I have used a two monitor setup at home for the past eight years.

Started as a vanity test to impress a potential customer. After just two days of using the setup I was hooked.

Being an accidental DBA, with most of my work done in Visual Studio as a software developer, I estimate that the time I saved alone in the first month paid for the investment.

Without a doubt... it helps.
Post #1190490
Posted Friday, October 14, 2011 6:43 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Sunday, November 23, 2014 11:33 PM
I am blessed by having the best of both worlds. Ok, I know I am bragging, but it’s nice. I have a 27inch wide aspect for apps like management studio, where I can have all the property windows open I want and a 19 inch to see incoming email etc. Next to that I have a 3rd screen connected to a monitoring server displaying critical performance and other information. I agree that the dual screen setup saves time, but as Justin said, it is still not enough.

5ilverFox
Namakwa Sands
South Africa
Post #1190501
Posted Friday, October 14, 2011 6:50 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, June 3, 2014 5:52 AM
Our team just went from a desktop with twin 17" monitors (or laptop on dock + single 17") to twin 24" monitors and WOW, the difference in efficiency and just reduced eyestrain is amazing. I can have multiple Excels plus Mgt Studio plus Outlook open at the same time and not go blind or crazy...
Post #1190505
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse