Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Adding SQL Server startup parameters from the command line Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Monday, September 19, 2011 9:32 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, September 11, 2014 9:54 AM
Good day.

We have the need to add the -g parameter to SQL Server Express instances that are deployed as part of our released product. The SSE instances run basically unattended, and using the SQL Server Configuration Manager GUI isn't an option, because the change has to be automated.

I know where the registry entries are that contain the startup parameters, but I don't really like the idea of modifying them directly. I'll do it, though, if necessary.

I've looked at sac.exe, but it doesn't seem to do what I want.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,
Joe
Post #1177315
Posted Monday, September 19, 2011 1:38 PM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Monday, October 20, 2014 5:47 AM
Joe Wagner (9/19/2011)
Good day.

We have the need to add the -g parameter to SQL Server Express instances that are deployed as part of our released product. The SSE instances run basically unattended, and using the SQL Server Configuration Manager GUI isn't an option, because the change has to be automated.

I know where the registry entries are that contain the startup parameters, but I don't really like the idea of modifying them directly. I'll do it, though, if necessary.

I've looked at sac.exe, but it doesn't seem to do what I want.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,
Joe

How about using powershell... something like this: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/erichumphrey/archive/2011/03/31/change-sql-startup-parameters-with-powershell.aspx
Post #1177443
Posted Monday, September 19, 2011 3:24 PM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Thursday, September 11, 2014 9:54 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, our deployments don't have Powershell yet. I'll keep this in mind for later.

Can this be morphed into something that would be called from a VBScript/bat file, that uses WMI?
Post #1177509
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse