Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Sql server Agent stops working Expand / Collapse
Author
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, July 3, 2012 8:05 AM
Hi all,
I have been seeing a strange issues.We have a Sql server 2005 Enteprise edition installed on a windows 2008 server.Sql server agent stopped working suddenly and this issue started since the last couple of days .Tried to start it up but shutdowns immediatley.We have 32 gb of Ram and 16 cpu's allocated.I dont see any issues with the Sql Server services

Sql Agent Output file
[097] Memory leak detected [204 bytes]
Exception 5 caught at line 403 of file e:\sql9_sp2_t\sql\komodo\src\core\sqlagent\src\alerter.cpp. SQLServerAgent initiating self-termination

Please share your suggestions

Thanks,
Sai
Post #1165745
Posted Friday, August 26, 2011 10:12 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 1:09 PM
Are there any entries in the logs? Start with the SQL Error Logs and then move to the Windows Logs.

Chris Powell

George: You're kidding.
Elroy: Nope.
George: Then lie to me and say you're kidding.
Post #1166230
Posted Monday, August 29, 2011 4:06 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Friday, September 6, 2013 5:15 AM
Through which account your agent service is running.

check that account has sysadmins rights?
Post #1166835
Posted Monday, August 29, 2011 8:40 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

They were few errors in the .Notified windows admins to look into the logs .

Event Logs :
The description for Event ID '0' in Source '' cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display the message, or you may not have permission to access them.

Yes,Account has sysadmin rights.Both Sql Server services and agent are running through the same domain account .I dont have any issues with the Sql server services.Everything was running fine untill the server was rebooted few days ago .

Thanks,
Sai
Post #1166939
Posted Tuesday, August 30, 2011 1:34 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, June 30, 2013 10:50 PM
Is msdb database working fine?
Post #1167330
Posted Tuesday, August 30, 2011 4:00 PM
Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:43 AM
If nothing is reported in the SQL error log when the instance starts have you tried just making changes just to the SQL Agent service through SQL Server Configuration Manager to start eliminating possibilities? Tried setting the SQL Agent to use the local system account? Set the agent to use a new domain account? A new local account?

Joie Andrew
"Since 1982"
Post #1167847
Posted Wednesday, August 31, 2011 3:18 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 2:50 AM
The clue to the problem might just be in the error message

[097] Memory leak detected [204 bytes]
Exception 5 caught at line 403 of file e:\sql9_sp2_t\sql\komodo\src\core\sqlagent\src\alerter.cpp. SQLServerAgent

My reading of the message is that SQL Agent has detected a memory leak in a third-party component called alerter.cpp. This could be supplied with the komodo ide or be a locally developed product. Try Googling 'Mark Russinovich memory leak' for a step by step guide on how to detect if a memory leak is happening and the module causing it.

Original author: SQL Server FineBuild 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005. 29 May 2014: now over 29,000 downloads.
Disclaimer: All information provided is a personal opinion that may not match reality.
Concept: "Pizza Apartheid" - the discrimination that separates those who earn enough in one day to buy a pizza if they want one, from those who can not.
Post #1167954
Posted Thursday, September 1, 2011 12:48 PM
Grasshopper

Ajay,
Msdb database is running fine

Joie,
I have tried to startup sevrices under domain account as well as local system account.All our services run under one domain account a a standard

I will look into the article.Also opened an incident with microsoft technical support .Will keep posted with any updates as i receive .

Thanks,
Sai
Post #1168861
Posted Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:22 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, July 12, 2013 1:13 PM
Hi Sai,

Can you please let us know what was the output of the Case with Microsoft, was there solution for your problem?

Thanks
Post #1407592
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse