Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««34567»»

Niagara Falls Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 8:50 AM
No, I typed NULL because I started life as a C programmer and some habits die *really* hard...
Post #1152459
Posted Tuesday, August 2, 2011 6:53 AM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Sunday, November 17, 2013 11:53 AM
Thanks Michael
Post #1152481
Posted Tuesday, August 2, 2011 8:03 AM

Say Hey Kid

Say Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey KidSay Hey Kid

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 2:01 PM
SQLkiwi (8/2/2011)
I'm not sure we should be singling out Canadians here. If anything, the US situation is the exception, since SQL Server uses a SQL collation by default for the US, for backward-compatibility reasons. The rest of us, by and large, get a Windows collation on a default install.

Thanks for that point, Paul. I hadn't realized this, being the comfortably provincial, geo-focused American that I am

Someone posted a link here for the default collations, but that was for 2008. Here's the list for 2005 (which the QotD was about):
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143508%28v=SQL.90%29.aspx.
And, indeed, most collations listed are Windows -- not SQL -- collations.

Kudos to the o.p. for tracking down a hung Access process to this problem. I'd be curious what your trouble-shooting steps were? Did you see the identical process succeed in U.S. locations and decide there was something about Canada? Me, I would have looked for something specific to that Canadian server and missed the forest for the trees, that the problem was global to the SQL installation/collation.

Thanks for the question. The specific problem will almost certainly never be an issue for me, but the lesson in keeping an open mind during troubleshooting is valuable.

Rich
Post #1152547
Posted Tuesday, August 2, 2011 12:36 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 4:33 PM
Nice question. Have always used SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS as we do not have any servers outside the US. Interesting stuff though!
Post #1152901
Posted Tuesday, August 2, 2011 3:54 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Thursday, June 19, 2014 6:36 PM
If you read in sql server books online

"SQL Server collations apply non-Unicode sorting rules to non-Unicode data, and Unicode sorting rules to Unicode data, by using a corresponding Windows collation for the Unicode data. This difference can cause inconsistent results for comparisons of the same characters. Therefore, if you have a mix of Unicode and non-Unicode columns in your database, they should all be defined by using Windows collations so that the same sorting rules are used across Unicode and non-Unicode data."

I do not know 100% as I do not work with collations often, but I think the difference between unicode and non-unicode in the scripts would make the difference because you are specifying non-unicode with varchar(max). Just my 2 cents though, that may not be correct

I have noticed a few 'bugs' with using varchar(max) and nvarchar(max) causing errors, whereas using nvarchar(8000) removes the error. I have had this happen when using dynamic sql composition using exec sp_executesql @sql, @parmdef, @parm1 = @_parm1 etc. Using nvarchar(max) seemed to have had issues, but using nvarchar(4000) solved the problem which makes no sense to me still but there you go :).

Link to my blog http://notyelf.com/
Post #1153159
Posted Tuesday, August 2, 2011 11:47 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 3:43 AM
Excellent Question.

for testing i executed in my machine. with Australian settings it got hanged.

Malleswarareddy
I.T.Analyst
MCITP(70-451)
Post #1153267
Posted Wednesday, August 3, 2011 4:30 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:15 AM
Really a good question.

Thanks
Vinay Kumar
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Keep Learning - Keep Growing !!!
www.GrowWithSql.com

Post #1153377
Posted Thursday, August 4, 2011 11:33 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:01 AM
Excellant question.
There are a few buggy issues like this caused by Collation.
To reduce these types of issues we use the exact same collation on all of them.
Post #1154466
Posted Thursday, August 4, 2011 11:38 AM
Ten Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:01 AM
Several of you seem to agree that this is a bug that they can reproduce.
However the count of user that can re-create and users that think this is a bug on the connect site is LOW.

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQL/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=125502#details

Here is the link again in case you missed it. Without your feedback, and more of it, M$ will most likely not fix these things.
Post #1154470
Posted Thursday, August 4, 2011 12:28 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 6:32 PM
SanDroid (8/4/2011)
Several of you seem to agree that this is a bug that they can reproduce.
However the count of user that can re-create and users that think this is a bug on the connect site is LOW.

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQL/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=125502#details

Here is the link again in case you missed it. Without your feedback, and more of it, M$ will most likely not fix these things.

I get a Page Not Found clicking on that...?

Paul White
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Post #1154504
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««34567»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse