Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««12345

Installing SQL Server 2005 Expand / Collapse
Author

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, December 19, 2014 1:17 PM
Tom.Thomson (8/1/2011)
Kenneth Fisher-475792 (7/29/2011)
Same goes for 1 processor working. Technically I should have said "RTM installs fail on an odd number of logical or physical processers, unless its a single processor". However since in this case we weren't talking about 1 processor, logical or physical, I chose to shorten the answer slightly.

That, in my view, is appalling indifference to accuracy.
Probably true. What can I say, I'm not perfect

It's a rotten question, because it leaves out essential information. Why should I, or anyone else, assume in late 2011 that an install of SQLS 2005 is not an install of SQL 2005 with SP2 or a higher service pack? Any DBA installing an earlier version than SP2 at this date would be irresponsible - the potential problems with such an old version are enormous.
First you did understand that this was a DR install right? You install what was in production. If RTM was in production (lets certainly hope not) then you install RTM. That being said I was starting at RTM with an intent to patch. Now oddly enough I work with a team of 8 DBAs ranging in experience from just a couple of years up through around 30 and none of us have ever used a "slipstreamed" install. We all install RTM then patch. Its certainly an interesting idea and I'm going to figure out how to do it and probably we will implement it at our company, but obviously assuming that a DBA will know how and will start with a patched install is just as poor an idea as assuming they will start with RTM.

It's an even more rotten answer, because it is just plain wrong even assuming an install of the RTM version. What can that weasel word "technically" in your words quoted above purport to mean other than "actually what I said was correct was just plain wrong"?
oops, sorry, like I said above, not perfect

BTW, I got the point because I guessed the simple answer would be wrong, did some hunting, found the story, and reached the conclusion that it was a ridiculous trick question. But most people don't have nasty suspicious minds like mine, and will assume that the question means what it asks with no unbelievable provisos thrown in and that the answers offered mean what they say. SO you can't take this comment as sour grapes.
Actually I'm glad you got the point. I posted the question, not to trick anyone, not to upset anyone, or cheat someone out of a point. I posted it because it was an interesting problem, and I thought there were people out there who could benefit from the information. I personally always try to use the QoD to learn something. If I get the question right or wrong I generally follow the link, when provided, and read at least something on the subject.

I do apologize that you felt that "Odd # of CPUs other than 1" and "RTM Install, when no service pack or hotfix was mentioned" were "unbelievable provisos" and will certainly try to be more careful of my wording in the future.

Kenneth

Kenneth Fisher
I strive to live in a world where a chicken can cross the road without being questioned about its motives.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLStudies.com
Post #1152733
Posted Tuesday, August 2, 2011 4:10 PM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Thursday, June 19, 2014 6:36 PM
The question was fine, as I see 'installation of SQL Server 2005 Enterprise edition" as being installed with no service packs. The answer however is inaccurate (though I answered it correctly) as explained in this article

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954835

I just encountered this last month and there are a few things. 1) No, installing SP2 or SP3 does not help this. We tried downloading the Digital versions of both from our resellers to no avail. Additionally, we tried expanding the service pack and installing via command prompt using the setup.exe hotfix=blah, solution to no avail as well. The ONLY option that would work, was forcing the server to think it only had one processor, install SQL Server and the subsequent service packs, then reboot the server into having its normal processors again.

Also per what a previous person said in this post, this server was to support a websphere application, and the requirements from the vendor were to only install sql server 2005 sp1, which it is currently running at and fine.

Link to my blog http://notyelf.com/
Post #1153177
Posted Tuesday, August 2, 2011 4:17 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 4:21 PM
Kenneth Fisher-475792 (8/2/2011)
I do apologize that you felt that "Odd # of CPUs other than 1" and "RTM Install, when no service pack or hotfix was mentioned" were "unbelievable provisos" and will certainly try to be more careful of my wording in the future.

Kenneth

On reflection, I think my comments were probably over the top. I was looking at the world through a haze of annoyment with my telephone provider, and it wasn't fair to allow that to prejudice my view of the question.

Tom
Post #1153185
Posted Tuesday, August 2, 2011 9:56 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

shannonjk (8/2/2011)
The question was fine, as I see 'installation of SQL Server 2005 Enterprise edition" as being installed with no service packs. The answer however is inaccurate (though I answered it correctly) as explained in this article

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954835

I just encountered this last month and there are a few things. 1) No, installing SP2 or SP3 does not help this. We tried downloading the Digital versions of both from our resellers to no avail. Additionally, we tried expanding the service pack and installing via command prompt using the setup.exe hotfix=blah, solution to no avail as well. The ONLY option that would work, was forcing the server to think it only had one processor, install SQL Server and the subsequent service packs, then reboot the server into having its normal processors again.

Also per what a previous person said in this post, this server was to support a websphere application, and the requirements from the vendor were to only install sql server 2005 sp1, which it is currently running at and fine.

Actually in my case the only thing that worked was to wait until the install crashed with an error (approx) of "Can't start the SQL Server Service", then when it prompted to retry/cancel I swaped out the recommended files (Sqlservr.exe and Sqlos.dll) then hit retry.

Kenneth

Kenneth Fisher
I strive to live in a world where a chicken can cross the road without being questioned about its motives.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #1153240
Posted Tuesday, August 2, 2011 10:02 PM

Hall of Fame

Tom.Thomson (8/2/2011)
Kenneth Fisher-475792 (8/2/2011)

Kenneth

On reflection, I think my comments were probably over the top. I was looking at the world through a haze of annoyment with my telephone provider, and it wasn't fair to allow that to prejudice my view of the question.

Perfectly understandable, every telephone provider I've ever worked with has driven me into a blind rage every now and again.

I will say that I could have worded the question and answer a little more explicetly and part of it (as I look back at the KB article) has to do with my lack of knowledge about multicore processors etc.

Kenneth Fisher

Post #1153242
Posted Wednesday, August 3, 2011 4:35 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:15 AM
come to knew new one.

Thanks
Vinay Kumar
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Keep Learning - Keep Growing !!!
www.GrowWithSql.com

Post #1153379
Posted Friday, August 5, 2011 12:59 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, December 11, 2014 6:27 AM
Good question! I learned something new. I don't work with SQL 2005 anymore, but you'll never know when the knowledge is usefull.

/Håkan Winther
MCITP:Database Developer 2008
MCTS: SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance
MCSE: Data Platform
Post #1154775
Posted Tuesday, August 9, 2011 3:34 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:10 AM
I got it right in first shot. I had come across similar situation

- SAMJI
If you marry one they will fight with you, If you marry 2 they will fight for you
Post #1156636
Posted Thursday, August 11, 2011 6:09 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, November 11, 2013 5:40 AM
Very interesting information .... i have a SQL server 2005 installation on a server with 3 physical processors ( 12 logical ) , but did not face the issue during installation...... possibly because i did not attempt to run the SQL server before installing SP2 ...
Post #1158385
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««12345

Permissions Expand / Collapse