Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

PerfectDisk Vs DisKeeper Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, March 31, 2014 3:05 PM
So I have been researching for a couple weeks, read through this forum (most informative place minus a couple white papers), and am looking for final input while starting forward.

I just got into a server system with roughly 1.5 TB data, split between 1 Raid 10, 2 Raid 5s and a Raid 1 OS and Raid 1 other. The file autogrowth on many databases is set to very small numbers and needs to be changed. I have seen I/O bottlecks almost right away and CPU bottlenecks that could be stemming from poor fragmentation. I cannot even run a check on internal fragmentation (index/table/other) because the I/O it takes to do a full index report will take up too many resources. SAS Raid systems.

I have been talking to the Network staff and the drives are most likely very fragmented. Can't even risk the frag analysis at normal operation times. There had been log files that had auto growth and not backed up or maintained and took up disk.... I'll sum it up. Drives fragmented, looking at fix. Going to push forward on testing with PerfectDisk, looking to see if anyone would have any better info.

I have seen a lot of posts with DisKeeper (55) only only few with PerfectDisk on this forum. I have looked over free utilities as well but these two always hit on topic for server level, SQL Server cannot be taken down, manage everything well... etc.

Anyone ever do a direct comparison or have good stats on either individually? DisKeeper better? PerfectDisk better? Advantages from one over the other based on server specs?

Raxco got my attention with this (http://www.raxco.com/user_data/white_papers/unique_differences_pd11_dk2010.pdf) paper that pushed me to discuss with Net and agreed to put the trial version on our test server. Also, the S.M.A.R.T. capabilities are a plus for Net. DisKeeper has more input from actual users saying success and good throttling control while SQL server runs continuosly.

If you put all that together, thanks, and for any feedback.
-Me
Post #1122784
Posted Thursday, June 09, 2011 11:12 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 10:05 AM
I have used both of them and there is no real comparison. PerfectDisk by far outperforms DisKeeper.

Unfortunately, if you have heavy fragmentation at the OS level - you would need to stop SQL Server for proper disk defrag using any util.

You may want to look into getting approved outages to defrag the drives.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1122809
Posted Thursday, June 09, 2011 11:19 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 7:46 AM
If you get Diskeeper, patch it to the latest version immediately. Some of the older versions have nasty corruption- or error-causing bugs

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1122822
Posted Thursday, June 09, 2011 12:26 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 10:15 AM
Haven't tested them together, but both have worked for me. I have been hesitant to use them without stopping SQL Server. Even then, make sure I have 2 backups, just in case.

I'd schedule an outage, like Sat night/sun am, try to defragment as much as you can. Or at least analyze and see if you have lots of log/data file growths. Maybe think about a shrink of the log and then a controlled growth of files after defragmentation.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1122902
Posted Friday, June 10, 2011 3:21 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 9:21 AM
Don't forget to "fix" SQL Server after your OS defrag. Check your indexes to see if they need to be defragged (because a hard drive defrag will move your SQL files around once you've stopped the services) and update your statistics after fixing any index problems.

I'm probably just being anal, but IMHO, it's never a good idea to defrag hard drives without doing SQL Server housekeeping afterward.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database Administrator

Webpage: http://www.BrandieTarvin.net
LiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/
On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.

Freelance Writer: Shadowrun
Latchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Post #1123175
Posted Friday, June 10, 2011 8:12 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Thanks all. 1 PerfectDisk, 1 not DisKeeper and 1 Neutral leans me in that I was going the correct path for the current needs.

I have been trying to avoid the maintenance window, but due to the drives being online for about 3 years with no real fragmentation statistics I will be looking to go for the maintenance window over slow time. The biggest problem I had is that there are no analytical tools going for WHAT is the peak usage time on that server. The Net guys are working to get Ignite going so I can get that data. It was preferred that I get use that software as opposed to perfmon and my own SQL server level monitoring tools I developed as it will give the usage store in an independant server. Thanks for the posts on that, it gives good reassurance when I take the window to Net and Dir of IT.

We have the perfect opportunity here to test out the S.M.A.R.T. capabilities on the new test server for drive monitoring. I have not seen anything like this around the DisKeeper application.

Just a few other Qs in case the answers are known:
Does DisKeeper have any analysis tools as part of it other than fragmentation that would otherwise not be listed on their site (drive health monitoring, disk usage reporting, other reporting)?
Does PerfectDisk have the same throttle control capability (and as good of one) that I have heard DisKeeper is good at, as to not pool all resources or allow other processes resources first?
Does anyone leave either application running for preventative fragmentation ability they both have ON, 24/7 and if so are there any statistic that would lead to believe that it would put extra wear on spidles and heads?

Side note is if anyone knows of any defrag utility for server environment supporting Raid drives on large (over 1 TB) systems that also has S.M.A.R.T. capabilities, I would love to hear the name and do some research into. I am concerned that the head movement over the years could weaken the drive stability so the analytics on that and any advanced notice I could get would be of help.

Thanks again!
-Matt
Post #1123367
Posted Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:14 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 8:16 AM
Regarding your PerfectDisk throttling question, yes, PerfectDisk has throttle control for their guests and hosts – they call it Virtual Awareness. And they also have CPU throttling for non-virtual as well.
Post #1124911
Posted Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:51 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 9:31 AM
GilaMonster (6/9/2011)
If you get Diskeeper, patch it to the latest version immediately. Some of the older versions have nasty corruption- or error-causing bugs

+1

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #1124940
Posted Tuesday, June 14, 2011 8:03 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Thanks George and Dragonette.

Dragonette, I am curious if the throttling control is as good as the DisKeeper mechanism. I have heard very positive remarks to DisKeeper's ability but have not heard anything about PerfectDisk's throttle capabilities. Do you have any comparison notes between the two?

Thanks!

-Matt
Post #1125019
Posted Tuesday, June 14, 2011 8:17 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 8:16 AM
Unfortunately I do not have any comparison notes on throttling. I can tell you PerfectDisk’s works from my experience but I have not used Diskeeper’s.
Post #1125036
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse