Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

SQLServerCentral Best Practices Clinic: Part 3 Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, January 10, 2014 7:20 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQLServerCentral Best Practices Clinic: Part 3

Brad M. McGehee
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Director of DBA Education, Red Gate Software
www.bradmcgehee.com
Post #1106649
Posted Wednesday, May 11, 2011 8:06 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 11:09 AM
Is there any possibility with having different collations across the databases that you could run into issues when running queries that cross databases especially involving joins? What about any issues with TempDB if the collations are different? Thanks.
Post #1106972
Posted Wednesday, May 11, 2011 8:28 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 8:11 AM
Brad, re: the 8 TempDB files, I have no direct info here, but yesterday's SSC newsletter had a link to a blog by Eric Stephani (http://ericstephani.com/?p=166) where he was recapping the SQL Skills immersion training, and he mentions multiple data files with a "sweet spot" around 8.

I'm sure Paul/Kim could provide much more info about that.

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Post #1107002
Posted Wednesday, May 11, 2011 8:32 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

tgarland (5/11/2011)
Is there any possibility with having different collations across the databases that you could run into issues when running queries that cross databases especially involving joins? What about any issues with TempDB if the collations are different? Thanks.

Good point. As far as I can tell, there are no cross database queries running, although I will ask the developer about this and find out.

Brad M. McGehee
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
www.bradmcgehee.com
Post #1107010
Posted Wednesday, May 11, 2011 8:35 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

jcrawf02 (5/11/2011)
Brad, re: the 8 TempDB files, I have no direct info here, but yesterday's SSC newsletter had a link to a blog by Eric Stephani (http://ericstephani.com/?p=166) where he was recapping the SQL Skills immersion training, and he mentions multiple data files with a "sweet spot" around 8.

I'm sure Paul/Kim could provide much more info about that.

I also attended the same training from Paul and Kim. Generally speaking, they are recommending using a number of files equal to 1/4 to 1/2 of the number of cores, with 8 being the maximum. I will follow this article with a single article discussing this exact topic.

Brad M. McGehee
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
www.bradmcgehee.com
Post #1107015
Posted Wednesday, May 11, 2011 2:44 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 12:01 PM
tgarland (5/11/2011)

I ran into this recently when I created a table with database defaults to test something, joined with an existing table, and had collation issues. Very annoying, but it's something that we have documented and have to deal with.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1107350
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse