Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Contained database temporary tables Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, April 13, 2011 11:15 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:14 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Contained database temporary tables

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1093305
Posted Thursday, April 14, 2011 12:49 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 5:24 AM
Nice question, thanks.

The hint (select 2) makes the last answer "None of the above" a bit superfluous

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1093331
Posted Thursday, April 14, 2011 1:32 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 3:58 AM
I think this is going to get very interesting.
good question, thanks.
has definitely whetted my appetite to begin playing around with contained databases

Post #1093344
Posted Thursday, April 14, 2011 3:26 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, October 16, 2014 2:12 PM
This is a tough one really

Mohammed Moinudheen
Post #1093384
Posted Thursday, April 14, 2011 6:51 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Friday, June 13, 2014 3:03 PM
I made the same wrong guesses as the majority. Got the first one right on collation but guessed that metadata would be in the contained database since my understanding was that these contained databases would not have instance dependencies. Sounds like that is not strictly true.

Gotta read more now!!! :) Great question. I think we need more Denali questions. Any rumors on the actual name of this new version? Is it just SQL Server 2012 (sounds so forboding). I think "Maya" might have been a more interesting code name for 2012

Peter Trast
Microsoft Certified ...(insert many literal strings here)
Microsoft Design Architect with Alexander Open Systems
Post #1093464
Posted Thursday, April 14, 2011 6:52 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 6:14 AM
Post #1093465
Posted Thursday, April 14, 2011 6:54 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 6:14 AM
Koen Verbeeck (4/14/2011)
Nice question, thanks.

Same i was too thinking.

Regards,
Sushant
Post #1093468
Posted Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:11 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Koen Verbeeck (4/14/2011)
Nice question, thanks.

I think that hint is applied automatically to all questions with > 1 correct answer. Also, since the question shows up with checkboxes automatically when > 1 answer is correct, that kinda gives it away also. So, I guess that I shouldn't have had that answer as a choice.

Wayne
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #1093543
Posted Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:16 AM

SSCertifiable

Another nice little tidbit of information about temporary tables in Denali: in all prior versions of SQL Server, through 2008R2, all temporary tables are created with positive object_id values. In Denali, local temporary tables are created with negative values (global temporary tables are still positive). I'm not sure of why the change... but if you are checking for existence of a temp table by:
IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb..#table') > 0

then you better start changing it to
IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb..#table') IS NOT NULL

Wayne
Post #1093548
Posted Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:29 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Monday, October 20, 2014 11:29 AM
The metadata answer got me too. Nice question Wayne! I'm sure we will see more questions about contained databases, so I better start reading up!
Post #1093566
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse