Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

Data Warehouse Development: Version 0 Expand / Collapse
Author

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:29 AM
Nice article, thanks Andy. I can't wait to see the rest of the series.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1091250
Posted Monday, April 11, 2011 3:27 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:34 AM
The intent of Version 0 is to show what can be achieved. A taster with a promise of jam tomorrow. My worry is that executive thinking is "if they developed this with in no time and no resource then I can get a lot for very little outlay".

As in an earlier post there has to be careful management of expectations.

I've had a proof-of-concept backfire on me spectacularly where most of the people involved agreed that the POC had failed in almost every tangible way but mission critical functionality had found its way into the POC so it went ahead anyway.

I am also extremely wary of Excel. I think I've seen it described as a Spreadmart! On one hand the business get great utility and early pay back. On the other hand they've driven a very large truck down a very tight cul-de-sac.

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #1091790
Posted Monday, April 11, 2011 3:42 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 1:39 PM
David.Poole (4/11/2011)
The intent of Version 0 is to show what can be achieved. A taster with a promise of jam tomorrow. My worry is that executive thinking is "if they developed this with in no time and no resource then I can get a lot for very little outlay".

As in an earlier post there has to be careful management of expectations.

I've had a proof-of-concept backfire on me spectacularly where most of the people involved agreed that the POC had failed in almost every tangible way but mission critical functionality had found its way into the POC so it went ahead anyway.

I am also extremely wary of Excel. I think I've seen it described as a Spreadmart! On one hand the business get great utility and early pay back. On the other hand they've driven a very large truck down a very tight cul-de-sac.

Excel is a fine business intelligence tool, so long as it's used for reporting or pivoting data from the Data Warehouse. If your team includes a business analyst who is also sharp with Excel, then the database developers can focus on the heavy lifting of creating the ETL processes and data model for the warehouse while the BA stays focussed on the client and handles all of their 1001 requests.
Post #1091799
Posted Tuesday, April 12, 2011 5:26 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Thursday, September 18, 2014 5:45 AM
Good Day Andy,

Must say I think I like your work, simple and methodical!!! Version 0 is a very critical step that many Developers/Managers tend to ignore, they dive staight into the deep-end without the critical work of preparation. I'm glad you highlight it's importance.

It seems to me that you will be using the Kimball Methodology, as you mention "Data warehouses simply do not lend themselves to waterfall methodologies; they’re better suited for iterative development", to develop your DW System. Is this the case?!

Looking forward to your next Piece of Art!!!

A keen follower of your work on the Stairway to Integration Services!!!
Regards,
Aquila Hanise
BI Developer
South Africa
Post #1091977
Posted Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:40 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Thursday, September 18, 2014 11:50 AM
Nice Article, Andy... thanks. You know the process you describe is the process you should go through to scope any project... not just DW! Look forward to reading more. Hey why not suggest that we can subscribe to any artile you write? The search on the site leaves a lot to be desired, in part becouse there is so much out here!
Post #1424201
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse