Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Performance Dashboard Expand / Collapse
Author
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, April 29, 2013 2:52 PM
I am having this same error with the performance dashboard reports on SQL 2008 r2:

When I click the blue CPU bar from the "System CPU Utilization" section, I get the error: "A data source instance has not been supplied for the data source 'CHECK_DEPENDENCIES'.

However, when I run the same report against a different SQL 2008 R2 server, the "Recent CPU Consumption" page displays without error. I have ensured that I am using the same .rdl file against both servers, and I have ensured that the dashboard stored procedures are identical on each of the servers. I'm puzzled why it works on one server and not the other.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue?
Post #1153052
Posted Tuesday, August 2, 2011 2:43 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Monday, September 22, 2014 6:13 AM
dajonx (4/4/2011)
Good morning,

I have encountered an error when clicking on the "System CPU Utilization" graph. The error says:

A data source instance has not been supplied for the data source 'CHECK_DEPENDENCIES'

I have altered the stored proc, usp_Main_GetSessionInfo. To resolve an earlier date overflow error, I changed the idle_connection_time from:
sum(convert(bigint, datediff(ms, login_time, getdate()))) - sum(convert(bigint, s.total_elapsed_time)) as idle_connection_time

to

sum(convert(bigint, CAST ( DATEDIFF ( minute, login_time, getdate()) AS
BIGINT)*60000 + DATEDIFF ( millisecond, DATEADD ( minute,DATEDIFF ( minute,
login_time, getdate() ), login_time ),getdate() ))) - sum(convert(bigint,
s.total_elapsed_time)) as idle_connection_time

And now I have the CHECK_DEPENDENCIES error. Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Longshot... does the query run when you paste it in SSMS? AFAIK you did the correct fix for the arith error.
Post #1153070
Posted Tuesday, August 2, 2011 3:18 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I have corrected the math error.

Yes, I can successfully run the the sql in SSMS. Now... what I see SQL Profiler when I run performance_dashboard_main.rdl on the SQL 2008 R2 server where this is working correctly is that it calls the 5 main procs:
-usp_Main_GetRequestInfo
-usp_Main_GetCPUHistory
-usp_Main_GetSessionInfo
-usp_Main_GetRequestWaits
-usp_Main_GetMiscInfo
Then, when I click the blue CPU Utilization line, there are no SQL calls that occur at all - so I'm presuming that is is using cached data from the initial calls to populate the "Recent CPU Consumption" report. This is the part that generates the data source error on the other 2008 r2 server. Since I'm using the same .rdl files and identical procs on both servers, I would expect to get the same results. Very peculiar.
Post #1153107
Posted Tuesday, August 2, 2011 3:22 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

I'd only be left with close everything and hit refresh after reopening.

I had similar issues when wanting to change the server the connection was pointing to.
Post #1153113
Posted Tuesday, August 2, 2011 4:28 PM
Grasshopper

I tried that as well. Even tried using different SSMS installs on other PCs, but to no avail. I'll continue to troubleshooting this. thanks.
Post #1153191
Posted Tuesday, August 2, 2011 7:02 PM

SSC-Insane

Let me know what you find...
Post #1153212
Posted Friday, August 5, 2011 8:57 AM
Grasshopper

Issue Resolved:

This is a rather silly conclusion, but after rebooting the offending SQL Server during a maintenance window yesterday evening, this issue seems to have fixed itself. The "Recent CPU Consumption" report displays appropriately. I don't have a clear picture of what was actually causing the issue and why a reboot fixed it. I suspect stoping/restarting the SQL Service would have resolved it as well.
Post #1155116
Posted Friday, August 5, 2011 9:06 AM

SSC-Insane

the good old #1 fix for M$ .

Thanks for the feedback. It'll surely help someone else later.

L8rs.
Post #1155125
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2012 4:01 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, January 27, 2014 1:04 PM
I was experienced same issue when we have databases in compatibility level 80 in 2008 R2 SP2 server.
Post #1342293
Posted Friday, October 5, 2012 2:41 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, August 18, 2014 12:27 AM
Hi! Every one^^

I'm a fresh DBA / BI Developer from Taiwan, so I bump into this problem with a root cause of language datetime string format.

So when I replace the content above in the file performance_dashboard_main.rdl, I can get rid of check_dependencies error.

[url=https://sites.google.com/a/aisowhat.com/data2info/sql-server/sqlsrv-db-engine/dbe-performance-dashboard-2012][/url]

=min(Fields!EventTime.Value, "CPU_UTILIZATION_HISTORY")

AS

=Year(min(Fields!EventTime.Value, "CPU_UTILIZATION_HISTORY")).ToString() + "-" + Month(min(Fields!EventTime.Value, "CPU_UTILIZATION_HISTORY")).ToString() + "-" + Day(min(Fields!EventTime.Value, "CPU_UTILIZATION_HISTORY")).ToString() + " " + Hour(min(Fields!EventTime.Value, "CPU_UTILIZATION_HISTORY")).ToString() + ":" + Minute(min(Fields!EventTime.Value, "CPU_UTILIZATION_HISTORY")).ToString() + ":" + Second(min(Fields!EventTime.Value, "CPU_UTILIZATION_HISTORY")).ToString()

THEN IT WORKS!!

You can download the version I modified rdl file in my google site page.

anibal.yeh@gmail.com ps. if ur in Taiwan, my cell phone is 0982121974

Best regards

Anibal

Post #1368875
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse