Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

Visual Studio Tools Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, November 10, 2013 11:52 AM
SanDroid (3/10/2011)The amount of time these tools save you are worth any system lag you may experiance.

I've encountered *a lot* of people that disagree with that sentiment :)

I, however, agree wholeheartedly.

Jamie Thomson
http://sqlblog.com/blogs/jamie_thomson
Post #1076254
Posted Thursday, March 10, 2011 8:04 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

SanDroid (3/10/2011)
If you have a good dev system with plenty of memory, more than one CPU core, and you are not running 32bit windows install on 64bit hardware importing Databases with almost 8000 objects are no real problem..

I'm surprised to hear this given that Visual Studio is 32bit only. Good news if true though.

Jamie Thomson
Post #1076267
Posted Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:58 AM
SSC Eights!

Last Login: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 9:54 AM
Duncan Pryde (3/10/2011)
Jamie Thomson (3/10/2011)

The big benefits as far as I can see them are:
-Development-time error checking (i.e. find out about errors before you actually run the code - so you wont get caught by deferred name resolution)
-Declarative development. (i.e. You define what the database state should be and the tool works out how to get it to that state, as opposed to you having to author all of the ALTER statements)
-Code analysis (i.e. it highlights bad coding practices)

The second one does look like it might swing it. Up to now, we've tended to hand-write upgrade and rollback scripts for each release. It works, but it's time-consuming and quite clunky. I imagine this would be an improvement on that approach.

That's the biggie... My deployment routine is to restore a copy of the target locally and get VS to generate the deployment scripts for me... some checking is necessary of course, and some small edits have to be made, but it works, and it gets the target database in line with your model time and time again. It takes me less than a day all included to recreate the live environment locally and on test for four databases, generate scripts, tidy them up and deploy to test. Where I used to work, a database team or 4, serving a similar sized development team, took 2 or 3 times as long to put together a deployment script.

For our last release, however, another developer did the release, and while he started with a generated deployment script he couldn't be bothered to follow my established procedure (one script per DB into test, and a second after bug-fixes, so you have a part 1 and a part 2 script to run on production eventually - maybe a part 3 if the bug fixes needed further fixing) and instead hand-cranked extra items into it rather than generating a catch-up script from the testing phase... we've spent a few days tracking down and fixing the errors he introduced! Missed procedures, one procedure that was created with a rogue "drop procedure..." statement after it so every time it ran it dropped another procedure, missing static data... all manner of issues!
Post #1076378
Posted Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:06 AM
SSC Eights!

dave.farmer (3/10/2011)
For our last release, however, another developer did the release, and while he started with a generated deployment script he couldn't be bothered to follow my established procedure (one script per DB into test, and a second after bug-fixes, so you have a part 1 and a part 2 script to run on production eventually - maybe a part 3 if the bug fixes needed further fixing) and instead hand-cranked extra items into it rather than generating a catch-up script from the testing phase... we've spent a few days tracking down and fixing the errors he introduced! Missed procedures, one procedure that was created with a rogue "drop procedure..." statement after it so every time it ran it dropped another procedure, missing static data... all manner of issues!

That's a horror story. If any anecdote illustrates the value of VS DB Tools its that one right there!

Jamie Thomson
Post #1076390
Posted Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:07 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:20 PM
For reasons of performance the recommendation is that 1000 files per folder is not exceeded. But no reference has been included in the explanation. So the justification for the correct answer is truly subjective.

The addition of say 1,001 files will it reduced performance by say .00001 per cent or by 10 percent.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read

Before posting a performance problem please read
Post #1076392
Posted Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:11 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:50 PM
Nice question.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #1076398
Posted Thursday, March 10, 2011 1:12 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, September 5, 2014 2:00 PM
Interesting question.
Post #1076539
Posted Thursday, March 10, 2011 1:57 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, March 10, 2011 1:57 PM
Thanks for great information

data warehouse concepts
Post #1076570
Posted Friday, March 11, 2011 1:21 PM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:30 PM
Interesting question and discussion.

Tom
Post #1077149
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse