Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Data Everywhere - Step 3 in the Stairway to Reporting Services Expand / Collapse
Author

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, September 25, 2014 12:23 AM
Hi

Very Useful article series...Thank You

Eagerly waiting for your 'Charting the Unknown' article & 'Designing a Dashboard'.

Please publish it soon....Thanks a lot once again..
Post #1076027
Posted Tuesday, June 7, 2011 8:19 AM

SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Tuesday, July 29, 2014 2:50 PM
We are in the midst of upgrading from SSRS 2005 to SSRS 2008 R2, so I took note when you mentioned shared datasets. It seems like this is just a built in method of using stored procedures, though. We took the approach that everything had to be done via stored procedure so that everything was always available. Is there any advantage to the shared datasets, now that they are available?
Post #1121050
Posted Sunday, June 12, 2011 10:21 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:39 AM
Hi bphipps,

Shared datasets are searchable and versionable through SSRS. In addition, shared datasets can be used to access information from sources other than SQL Server.

For more information on shared datasets, I would recommend looking here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee636147.aspx

Best,
Jessica
Post #1124026
Posted Friday, January 18, 2013 7:02 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, August 28, 2014 1:28 PM
Jessica, I've been using Reporting Services for years but I'm still on 2008 (not R2).

I have heard that when you use a shared dataset, the query for the dataset cannot be changed after it has been used in a report. Do you know if this is true? This seems to defeat the purpose of having a shared dataset!

Thanks for a great article!
Post #1408891
Posted Tuesday, January 22, 2013 3:38 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:00 PM
Shared datasets are easy and useful. I had scenario where I needed a report to have a variable connection string so that it could connect to more than one database. The only way to get it to work is having no credentials embedded in the report, and using the SSRS un-atteneded account. That can only be done using an embedded data set.
Post #1410285
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse