Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Stairway to SQL Server Indexes: Step 2, Deeper into Nonclustered Indexes Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Monday, February 14, 2011 10:37 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, June 23, 2012 10:54 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Stairway to SQL Server Indexes: Step 2, Deeper into Nonclustered Indexes
Post #1063677
Posted Friday, February 25, 2011 5:37 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 10:44 AM
I think the line that reads 'scanning the entire table of one million rows' should probably be 'scanning the entire table of twenty thousand odd rows'.

I'm not being pedantic here - I always like it when someone questions something in a doc I've written as it shows they've read it. The only reason I noticed it was such a good article that I was paying proper attention when I read it :).

Thanks for this series, I'm really enjoying it.

I'm meant to be a seasoned DBA, sometimes it worries me how rusty I am on some very fundamental subjects.

Best,

Andy

Post #1069528
Posted Tuesday, May 24, 2011 12:18 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, June 23, 2012 10:54 AM
Andy,

Sorry for the long delay in replying; have been completing the remaining levels.

Will reread the level with an eye of rewording it.

Thanks for the input,
Dave Durant.
Author.
Post #1114303
Posted Saturday, March 17, 2012 11:28 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 7:34 PM
Hi David,

One quick one. In session II of Stairway to SQL Server Indexes you mentioned that:

* Non Clustered Index Is a sorted set of entries.

I have little doubt on it.

If we run below query you will find that the output of first query on "CONTACTS_INDEX" table with "FULLNAME" index on "LastName, FirstName" the out put is not sorted.

SELECT * FROM DBO.CONTACTS_INDEX WHERE LASTNAME LIKE 'Ste%'

But when we run the below query on "CONTACT_NOINDEX" table results are sorted.

SELECT * FROM DBO.CONTACTS_NOINDEX WHERE LASTNAME LIKE 'Ste%'

So now my question is why is it so? If I do a select on Heap table I am getting data sorted but when I do a select on table with NonCluster index data is not sorted.

Post #1268664
Posted Monday, October 22, 2012 10:22 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 8:26 AM
Dave,

Really benefiting from this series, in fact, all stairway series.

I have a very beginner-level question, you're showing the contents of the indexes as if selecting from a table. Is there a way to actually do it. I mean like "select * from ix_table1_nc_index"... is there a way to do that?

Thanks,
Faraz
Post #1375592
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse