Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Parent Report and Sub Reports Issue Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, February 10, 2011 10:37 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, March 27, 2014 11:01 AM
Hello,

I have a parent report that has 2 subreports and everything works fine.

My problem is, that in order for a user to view the parent report, I need to give the user "browse" role permisson to the 3 reports (parent and the two reports).

My question is I do not want the user to view/run the subreport individually, is there a way to hide these two sub rpts so that the user wil never see them in the listing, although they can view and run the parent report.

Thanks.
Post #1062149
Posted Thursday, February 10, 2011 10:44 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:14 AM
Ya just go in the subreport properties in the web interface and then check the box "Hide in list view"
Post #1062159
Posted Thursday, February 10, 2011 10:51 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

thanks, but, that will still cause the subreports to show when the user selects tile view, correct?

Post #1062161
Posted Thursday, February 10, 2011 10:56 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Yes... otherwise you'd have no way to go in to edit the properties.

You could always add a hidden parameter that you set via the parent report so that even if they find out about the report, they can't do anything about it.

You can also move them to a subfolder called SubReports and tell your users to stay away.
Post #1062166
Posted Thursday, February 10, 2011 11:13 AM
Valued Member

ok, I understand the problem when trying to edit properties. However, the admin user can do all these, I am just trying to hide it completely from a "user" who can only run the parent report (and not see the sub rpts)

thanks.
Post #1062178
Posted Thursday, February 10, 2011 11:16 AM

SSC-Insane

I understand but what are you trying to prevent???

What's the worst that can happen if a user unwantedly runs those subreports bypassing the parent?
Post #1062183
Posted Thursday, February 10, 2011 11:28 AM
Valued Member

nothing to prevent, but more of a cleaner list of rpts to be presented to the viewer group we have (and to lessen the confusion in trying to get to the reports -- we are going to have quite a number of rpts to beging with anyway)
Post #1062191
Posted Thursday, February 10, 2011 11:29 AM
Valued Member

nothing to prevent, but more of a cleaner list of rpts to be presented to the viewer group we have (and to lessen the confusion in trying to get to the reports -- we are going to have quite a number of rpts to beging with anyway)
Post #1062192
Posted Thursday, February 10, 2011 11:33 AM

SSC-Insane

Well that starts with correct cataloging and classification in folders.

That being said, you could put all your subreports into a single folder and hide that folder from the "short" list view.

I don't see anything much simpler than this... as soon as they can run it they can see it and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Post #1062193
Posted Thursday, February 10, 2011 11:47 AM
Valued Member

ok. what is "hiding in a short list view" for the sub report folder? is it the same as hiding in tile view

thanks
Post #1062215
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse