Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««56789»»

Creating a comma-separated list (SQL Spackle) Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, November 08, 2012 11:18 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 6:43 PM
opc.three (11/8/2012)
cs_troyk (10/29/2012)
Not that I advocate switching to a "toy" RDBMS, but MySQL does have the GROUP_CONCAT operator which makes this type of thing a little more elegant. It's something to be aware of in case you ever need to migrate from a MySQL db.

-TroyK

MySQL's GROUP_CONCAT() function implements a semantically different piece of functionality than what Wayne has demonstrated in the article. Notice that the query in the article is not an aggregate, i.e. no GROUP BY clause.

Take a look at the CTE from the article, and consider the effect of the "DISTINCT" keyword.

Here's the MySQL solution to the comma-separated list problem:

SELECT AccountNumber, GROUP_CONCAT(Value ORDER BY Value) AS 'CommaList'
FROM T
GROUP BY AccountNumber
ORDER BY AccountNumber;

It produces the same output as the T-SQL solution.

-TroyK

Post #1382829
Posted Thursday, November 08, 2012 11:33 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 9:25 AM
cs_troyk (11/8/2012)
opc.three (11/8/2012)
cs_troyk (10/29/2012)
Not that I advocate switching to a "toy" RDBMS, but MySQL does have the GROUP_CONCAT operator which makes this type of thing a little more elegant. It's something to be aware of in case you ever need to migrate from a MySQL db.

-TroyK

MySQL's GROUP_CONCAT() function implements a semantically different piece of functionality than what Wayne has demonstrated in the article. Notice that the query in the article is not an aggregate, i.e. no GROUP BY clause.

Take a look at the CTE from the article, and consider the effect of the "DISTINCT" keyword.

FROM T
GROUP BY AccountNumber
ORDER BY AccountNumber;

-TroyK

Not sure what you're getting at when you talk about DISTINCT, whether you mean in the outer query or the correlated subquery, but if the subquery you would need to provide DISTINCT when using GROUP_CONCAT() as well, if duplicate values were a concern:

SELECT AccountNumber, GROUP_CONCAT(DISTINCT Value ORDER BY Value) AS 'CommaList'
FROM T
GROUP BY AccountNumber
ORDER BY AccountNumber;

If the outer query then yes, I agree, an aggregate may be a better option. I am not arguing about the likeness of the results however. All I am pointing out is that there is a difference in implementation, semantical maybe, but there is a penalty for using GROUP BY when it is not needed when compared to using a correlated subquery as Wayne presents it.

If GROUP_CONCAT() existed on SQL Server the XML technique from the article would almost certainly outperform it so while it may seem like a fair comparison from a query results point of view it's really apples and oranges under the hood.

Now, from a syntax point of view, when the outer query must be distinct, I like the GROUP_CONCAT() method which is why I wrote GROUP_CONCAT() for SQL Server by leveraging the SQLCLR but it is not the best choice for all scenarios.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato

Believe you can and you're halfway there. --Theodore Roosevelt

Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler --Albert Einstein

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. --Albert Einstein

1 apple is not exactly 1/8 of 8 apples. Because there are no absolutely identical apples. --Giordy
Post #1382833
Posted Friday, November 09, 2012 12:41 PM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 6:43 PM
opc.three (11/8/2012)
cs_troyk (11/8/2012)
opc.three (11/8/2012)
cs_troyk (10/29/2012)

-TroyK

FROM T
GROUP BY AccountNumber
ORDER BY AccountNumber;

-TroyK

Not sure what you're getting at when you talk about DISTINCT, whether you mean in the outer query or the correlated subquery, but if the subquery you would need to provide DISTINCT when using GROUP_CONCAT() as well, if duplicate values were a concern:

[code="sql"SELECT AccountNumber, GROUP_CONCAT(DISTINCT Value ORDER BY Value) AS 'CommaList'
FROM T
GROUP BY AccountNumber
ORDER BY AccountNumber;[/code]

If the outer query then yes, I agree, an aggregate may be a better option. I am not arguing about the likeness of the results however. All I am pointing out is that there is a difference in implementation, semantical maybe, but there is a penalty for using GROUP BY when it is not needed when compared to using a correlated subquery as Wayne presents it.

If GROUP_CONCAT() existed on SQL Server the XML technique from the article would almost certainly outperform it so while it may seem like a fair comparison from a query results point of view it's really apples and oranges under the hood.

Now, from a syntax point of view, when the outer query must be distinct, I like the GROUP_CONCAT() method which is why I wrote GROUP_CONCAT() for SQL Server by leveraging the SQLCLR but it is not the best choice for all scenarios.

My point is that the solution presented in the article is the equivalent to a solution using GROUP BY, so saying that there's no GROUP BY clause is only accurate when talking about the syntax. The query could be rewritten like this, and it's the same query from the optimizer's perspective:

SELECT AccountNumber,
CommaList = STUFF((
SELECT ',' + Value
FROM #TestData
WHERE AccountNumber = t.AccountNumber
ORDER BY Value
FOR XML PATH(''),
TYPE).value('.','varchar(max)'),1,1,'')
FROM #TestData t
GROUP BY AccountNumber
ORDER BY AccountNumber;

This produces the same query plan as the CTE version, and has the same IO profile, so it is incorrect to assert some penalty for using GROUP BY. I'm not sure how you arrive at the conclusion that the XML version would outperform GROUP_CONCAT if the latter were implemented in MS's product. Is this based on your results from implementing it using CLR?

-TroyK

Post #1383204
Posted Friday, November 09, 2012 1:45 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

cs_troyk (11/9/2012)
opc.three (11/8/2012)
cs_troyk (11/8/2012)
opc.three (11/8/2012)
cs_troyk (10/29/2012)

-TroyK

FROM T
GROUP BY AccountNumber
ORDER BY AccountNumber;

-TroyK

[code="sql"SELECT AccountNumber, GROUP_CONCAT(DISTINCT Value ORDER BY Value) AS 'CommaList'
FROM T
GROUP BY AccountNumber
ORDER BY AccountNumber;[/code]

My point is that the solution presented in the article is the equivalent to a solution using GROUP BY, so saying that there's no GROUP BY clause is only accurate when talking about the syntax. The query could be rewritten like this, and it's the same query from the optimizer's perspective:

SELECT AccountNumber,
CommaList = STUFF((
SELECT ',' + Value
FROM #TestData
WHERE AccountNumber = t.AccountNumber
ORDER BY Value
FOR XML PATH(''),
TYPE).value('.','varchar(max)'),1,1,'')
FROM #TestData t
GROUP BY AccountNumber
ORDER BY AccountNumber;

This produces the same query plan as the CTE version, and has the same IO profile, so it is incorrect to assert some penalty for using GROUP BY. I'm not sure how you arrive at the conclusion that the XML version would outperform GROUP_CONCAT if the latter were implemented in MS's product. Is this based on your results from implementing it using CLR?

-TroyK

Yes they are. I am now on the same page as far as which DISTINCT you were referring too. If the dataset you're aggregating on is not unique and you do not need to apply DISTINCT then SQL will not need to sort or de-duplicate the key column to aggregate the results, whereas the GROUP BY always will (unless the optimizer can ignore it due to the presence of a unique index). That is where the penalty I am referring too is introduced.

Here is the equivalent query using my SQLCLR:

SELECT AccountNumber,
dbo.GROUP_CONCAT(Value) AS CommaList
FROM #TestData t
GROUP BY AccountNumber
ORDER BY AccountNumber;

In my testing (test scripts are included in the CodePlex download) the SQLCLR object is on par with the XML TYPE method shown in the article in terms of performance. In some test cases the XML performs best, in others the SQL CLR performs best. The +- is roughly 10% in either direction so I am comfortable saying they are "comparable" for general use.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato

Everything Should Be Made as Simple as Possible, But Not Simpler --Albert Einstein

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. --Albert Einstein

1 apple is not exactly 1/8 of 8 apples. Because there are no absolutely identical apples. --Giordy
Post #1383227
Posted Monday, December 24, 2012 12:30 PM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Monday, April 15, 2013 11:42 PM
Nice article.
Post #1399973
Posted Tuesday, December 25, 2012 8:13 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Monday, April 15, 2013 11:42 PM
Nice article!
Post #1400058
Posted Saturday, May 04, 2013 8:31 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 4:00 PM
glock 71629 (1/12/2011)
This is exactly the situation where I use PowerShell frequently. I am able to export data from whatever complex query. Idea is something like this:

Invoke-Sqlcmd -ServerInstance myServer -Database MyDb -Query "SELECT * FROM SomeTable" | Export-Csv ./result.csv -NoTypeInformation

In -Query can be any T-SQL code and results are exported natively to CSV file. I work as ConfigMgr admin and this is the way how you can really easily receive your data.

David

I know this post is more than 2 years old but curiosity finally got the best of me. "Everyone" keeps recommending that PowerShell be used for these types of things but not once have I seen them identify how you could use PowerShell in a stored procedure. Also, why even bother with PowerShell when this is so easily done without it and it works in a stored procedure or a function without having to somehow get to the command line to do it?

Yes, if you're trying to create a CSV file, the PowerShell solution works just fine but why would you use it instead of T-SQL if the target was also T-SQL or just a result set to an app?

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

"Change is inevitable. Change for the better is not." -- 04 August 2013
(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1449486
Posted Saturday, May 04, 2013 9:54 PM

SSCertifiable

...when this is so easily done without it and it works in a stored procedure or a function without having to somehow get to the command line to do it?

How would you do it in T-SQL?

Post #1449491
Posted Sunday, May 05, 2013 9:44 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 4:00 PM
opc.three (5/4/2013)
...when this is so easily done without it and it works in a stored procedure or a function without having to somehow get to the command line to do it?

How would you do it in T-SQL?

If you're just outputing a result set (which is the object of the article... not exporting data), then just like the article does with the [text] kicker. I'm not sure why anyone would even bring up PowerShell in such a situation.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

"Change is inevitable. Change for the better is not." -- 04 August 2013
(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1449519
Posted Sunday, May 05, 2013 10:37 AM

SSCertifiable

I think Wayne already called out that the comment was misplaced.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1046450.aspx

I thought you were taking things in a different direction.

Post #1449522
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««56789»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse