Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Set Up And Schedule a Server Side Trace Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, December 01, 2010 10:13 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 4:48 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Set Up And Schedule a Server Side Trace

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #1029068
Posted Thursday, December 02, 2010 4:25 AM

Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 8:02 AM
Thanks for this article. it was just what I needed and a feature I did not know about. I have been experimenting and it looks great however I get an error if the trace file already exists as a new one cannot be created (as you would expect). Is there a way of setting the output file name to be something that changes on each execution?
I have tried to create a variable for the file name and concatenating to this the date but this does not seem to work either.

Declare @SaveTo varchar(max)
Set @Saveto = 'C:\DirName\'+ (cast(Getdate()as char))

exec @rc = sp_trace_create @TraceID output, 2, @Saveto, @maxfilesize, @stoptime,NULL

I get an error of ‘Procedure expects parameter '@tracefile' of type 'nvarchar(256)'.’

Any Suggestions?
Post #1029150
Posted Thursday, December 02, 2010 5:01 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 6:27 AM
PAH-440118 (12/2/2010)
Thanks for this article. it was just what I needed and a feature I did not know about. I have been experimenting and it looks great however I get an error if the trace file already exists as a new one cannot be created (as you would expect). Is there a way of setting the output file name to be something that changes on each execution?
I have tried to create a variable for the file name and concatenating to this the date but this does not seem to work either.

exec @rc = sp_trace_create @TraceID output, 2, @Saveto, @maxfilesize, @stoptime,NULL

I get an error of ‘Procedure expects parameter '@tracefile' of type 'nvarchar(256)'.’

Any Suggestions?

You didn't pay attention when declaring your variable as a varchar(max).
Consider the implications for the engine.

the errormessage clearly states it expects a Nvarchar(256) , the easiest way is to actually do just that.

Declare @SaveTo Nvarchar(256)

This is the code I use to get easy to read trace file names:
set @TraceFileName = 'C:\temp\ALZDBA_SQL_Trace' 
+ '_' + replace(@@servername,'\','_') + '_'
+ replace(replace(replace(convert(char(16),getdate(),121),'-',''),' ','_'),':','') + '_'
-- + '.trc' is being added automatically

Another nice and useful article by Grant !

I also recommend reading Kalen Delaneys findings at http://sqlblog.com/blogs/kalen_delaney/archive/2007/06/29/did-you-know-a-6th-parameter-when-creating-a-trace.aspx where she states there is a parameter to take control on the number of rollover files.

I just learned about this at SQLPass2010

Johan

Don't drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
but keeping both feet on the ground won't get you anywhere

- How to post Performance Problems
- How to post data/code to get the best help

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt ?

"press F1 for solution", "press shift+F1 for urgent solution"

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me
Post #1029160
Posted Thursday, December 02, 2010 5:47 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Monday, May 20, 2013 11:01 AM
Great article. I have been using this technique for a few months now and it saves tons of resources on the server, plus helps with my sleep when I need to trace a problem at 3am.

One thing to note though, when you run the script, it adds the trace. The trace will stop at the pre-defined stop time, but the trace definition will stay on the server. If you have this as a scheduled job to run every night or every day, it will keep adding new trace definitions. In my jobs, I just create a step to delete the trace after it completes.

Post #1029179
Posted Thursday, December 02, 2010 6:08 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

PAH-440118 (12/2/2010)

Any Suggestions?

Johan seems to have already answered your question for you. Let me know if you have any more.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
and

Post #1029192
Posted Thursday, December 02, 2010 6:09 AM

SSChampion

jason.spangler (12/2/2010)
Great article. I have been using this technique for a few months now and it saves tons of resources on the server, plus helps with my sleep when I need to trace a problem at 3am.

One thing to note though, when you run the script, it adds the trace. The trace will stop at the pre-defined stop time, but the trace definition will stay on the server. If you have this as a scheduled job to run every night or every day, it will keep adding new trace definitions. In my jobs, I just create a step to delete the trace after it completes.

Thanks.

You know that's not a problem I've run into. I'll have to check on it. Thanks for pointing it out.

The Scary DBA
and

Post #1029194
Posted Thursday, December 02, 2010 6:46 AM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Thursday, April 10, 2014 12:48 PM
Thanks for the great article. I create a baseline performance measure every so often on my servers, and this will simplify the process. I'm currently placing the output directly into the database via an ODBC connection. I'm sure I can change the script samples to do this, but just wondering if I should be doing this. Does it matter?

Thanks,
Cindy
Post #1029215
Posted Thursday, December 02, 2010 7:00 AM

SSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 5:31 AM
Great article again Grant. I just prefer to use sys.traces over fn_trace_getinfo. I think it gives an easier to decipher set of information.

Hmm, I'm going to have to play with the stop time because I thought it deleted the trace definition...

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
Post #1029227
Posted Thursday, December 02, 2010 7:07 AM

SSChampion

CavyPrincess (12/2/2010)
Thanks for the great article. I create a baseline performance measure every so often on my servers, and this will simplify the process. I'm currently placing the output directly into the database via an ODBC connection. I'm sure I can change the script samples to do this, but just wondering if I should be doing this. Does it matter?

Thanks,
Cindy

Writing to file is much, much faster than writing to a database, so yes, it does make a difference. Also, is that database on the same server you're monitoring? That can be a problem, adding overhead where none should exist.

The Scary DBA
and

Post #1029233
Posted Thursday, December 02, 2010 7:07 AM

Valued Member

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 8:02 AM
What is the command to delete to the trace definition?
Post #1029234
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse