Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

sys.syscomments Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, December 1, 2010 1:16 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:45 AM
Ok, I think I finally arrived.
I thought the "comments" were the standalone extended properties / description of the stored procedures, constraints etc..
I did not consider the inline comments of the object definition (I actually considered these comments as object definition as well).

Best Regards,
Chris Büttner
Post #1028456
Posted Wednesday, December 1, 2010 2:26 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Friday, July 11, 2014 1:49 AM
Can someone please explain why "All of the above" is wrong?
Does comments refer to something other than inline comments ("--"'s and "/**/"'s)?
Post #1028473
Posted Wednesday, December 1, 2010 2:26 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 12:21 AM
This is not a particularly very well designed question. What is a comment and what is the definition? I would say the comments inside an object are part of the definition.

There are of course the extended properties which are not in syscomments, but I've never come across anyone who calls that comments.

Just because you're right doesn't mean everybody else is wrong.
Post #1028474
Posted Wednesday, December 1, 2010 2:35 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, December 1, 2010 6:48 AM
Yeah "All the Above" is the correct answer. I think the author is confused with the option.
Post #1028480
Posted Wednesday, December 1, 2010 3:09 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Today @ 10:00 AM
The first and third answers are definitely correct (the first being a subset of the third), so I went for 'all of the above'. A good question, spoiled slightly by the choice of answers.
Post #1028493
Posted Wednesday, December 1, 2010 4:14 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 12:52 AM
Toreador (12/1/2010)
The first and third answers are definitely correct (the first being a subset of the third), so I went for 'all of the above'. A good question, spoiled slightly by the choice of answers.

Ditto here.

#2 is not 100% clear and leaves a little too much room for interpretation. But since 1 and 3 are definitely right, the only possible answer had to be all of the above.
Post #1028506
Posted Wednesday, December 1, 2010 5:00 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:39 PM
Ninja's_RGR'us (12/1/2010)
Toreador (12/1/2010)

Ditto here.

#2 is not 100% clear and leaves a little too much room for interpretation. But since 1 and 3 are definitely right, the only possible answer had to be all of the above.

Author wants to confuse by using word "Comments". "All of the above" is right if we consider inline comments in the proc or other db objects.

Thanks
Post #1028527
Posted Wednesday, December 1, 2010 5:12 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Hardy21 (12/1/2010)
Ninja's_RGR'us (12/1/2010)
Toreador (12/1/2010)

Ditto here.

Author wants to confuse by using word "Comments". "All of the above" is right if we consider inline comments in the proc or other db objects.

That's what I meant by interpretation. I, like at least another posted considered the meta data comments that we can put in the columns of the "edit table" gui. That's the only way #2 could be false. But it seemed too far fetched so I chose all of the above as #1 couldn't be false.
Post #1028531
Posted Wednesday, December 1, 2010 5:20 AM

SSC-Insane

Moreover, there's no mention of functions in the explanation or the answers. Those definitions are also available in syscomments.

So I guess that none of the above is also a good option even if #1 is definitely correct if no thorough
Post #1028537
Posted Wednesday, December 1, 2010 5:29 AM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Today @ 10:00 AM
Christian Buettner-167247 (12/1/2010)
Nils Gustav Stråbø (12/1/2010)
Both the definition and the comments can be retrieved from sys.syscomments view

Are you sure about that? I can't see any comments in that view.
With regards to option 1, I agree that this is not an invalid option. But #3 is the "precicest" option.

If you can't see any comments in that view, you have no comments in any of your stored procedures, triggers, views etcetera - appalling coding practise - but in any case the view does include all none of them, so the correct answer is still "all of the above".
The bad English combined with the wrong answer and the use of a deprecated sql 2000 compatibility view instead os sys.sql_modules make it a pretty awful question.

Tom
Post #1028539
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse