Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

You'd think I'd have learned... Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:55 AM
What mistakes do you keep making, even though you know better?

The first one I can think of:

I just opened an Explorer window to our server to extract some archive files to another folder on the same server. Large files. The problem is, our server is in another town. So the data's coming down the pipes to me to use my local Winzip program, then heading back up to the server.

Now, I KNOW better. I've done this a million times the correct way. Remote into the server and do it local to the server. But do I remember that this afternoon? No. It takes me 20 minutes of trying to figure out why everything's so slow before I remember. ARGH.

So, what's one of your bad habits or commonly made mistakes? The kind of stuff that makes you <headdesk> repeatedly while blushing in shame.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database Administrator

Webpage: http://www.BrandieTarvin.net
LiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/
On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.

Freelance Writer: Shadowrun
Latchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
Post #1005453
Posted Friday, October 15, 2010 1:57 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:24 AM
delete without a where clause.

Done it too many times to count.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #1005559
Posted Friday, October 15, 2010 2:03 PM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:52 AM
Copy stuff onto a flash drive, then leave it plugged into my desktop when I go out.

Fortunately I've got into the habit of checking for it as I put my laptop bag into the car.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #1005568
Posted Friday, October 15, 2010 2:21 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 9:11 AM
Write a script on the test server, test it, then move it to the production server and try and execute it... Whoops! Forgot to change table owner names. Fortunately, not a big deal and probably why I forget to make the change...no pain involved.
Post #1005580
Posted Friday, October 15, 2010 2:23 PM

Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 8:59 AM
Start a new query in SSMS, forgetting that I started the new query from an unusaul db (such as master!), then my sp goes bonkers on me when it's executed.

Post #1005581
Posted Friday, October 15, 2010 2:25 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Thursday, April 17, 2014 3:16 PM
Constantly forgetting that if I want to know what the SERVER is going to do with an SSIS/DTS package, I have to schedule it, not run it from the design studio/manager interface.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
Post #1005582
Posted Friday, October 15, 2010 2:27 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:26 PM
Restoring a database to establish mirroring or log shipping and forget to restore with NORECOVERY.

Post #1005584
Posted Friday, October 15, 2010 2:30 PM

SSCertifiable

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 6:27 AM
Still fixing problems, although I did warn the teams for the consequences of their decisions and their neglecting the advises dba have handed to them.

This fixing is to the advantage of the company, but could in most cases have been avoided by simply following design rules and common branch guidelines.

I do always type "gropu by" in stead of "group by".

and many times I still type "cerate" which off course should be "create".
The funny thing about that is that cera was my former employer (before it merged to kbc)

Johan

Don't drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
but keeping both feet on the ground won't get you anywhere

- How to post Performance Problems
- How to post data/code to get the best help

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt ?

"press F1 for solution", "press shift+F1 for urgent solution"

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me
Post #1005586
Posted Friday, October 15, 2010 2:42 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 2:16 PM
It is a small problem, but I do it all the time. I regularly have SSMS connected to several servers at a time. I regularly open a script file and run it against the wrong server/db, and wonder why I get errors?

I am hoping the little tidbit I learned on QOTD today about different colors on the status bar may help...we'll see.
Post #1005595
Posted Friday, October 15, 2010 3:02 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 9:11 AM
one lesson I have learned...Don't Change ANYTHING on Friday! Just answer easy questions on SQL Server Central...
Post #1005599
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse