Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««12345

Writing Nearly Codeless Apps: Part 2 Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, October 20, 2010 1:47 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, September 4, 2014 8:26 AM
As far as auditing, I have used http://autoaudit.codeplex.com/ very successfully (code generated DML and DDL triggers). Its auditing approach is not individual archive tables, however, but a similar technique could probably be used for that paradigm.

I'm all for standardization and code generation.

There are still no silver bullets, though. The intrinsic difficulties of software engineering remain; what techniques like this do is simply stop us from shooting ourselves in the feet or dragging ourselves down with grunt work and manual errors.
Post #1007501
Posted Tuesday, October 26, 2010 8:59 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, June 17, 2011 6:20 AM
I have actually found that a better naming convention is as follows (using Organization as the basic entity):

Table - Organization
View - OrganizationView

Because of the way we use tables and views, this is easily enough to distinguish them and it reads well. As for your categorization of tables, I would suggest just using schemas. So, you would have "adm", "sec", and "crm" schemas. This also has the benefits of security within the schemas.
Post #1010892
Posted Thursday, October 28, 2010 5:47 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, June 17, 2011 6:20 AM
Actually the generator that we use is CodeSmith and NetTiers. It is quite extensible and powerful. We have seen no issues with performance, and it is enterprise worthy. It does a great job of getting us through the ORM part of development. We focus on DB, BL, and UI design, getting the data in and out of the database is quick for us (as it should be since it is plumbing).

If you want, NetTiers also has the ability to create business rules to be applied to the entities and build workflows.
Post #1012228
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««12345

Permissions Expand / Collapse