Working in the IT industry

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. ~ Einstein
    select cast (0x5365616E204465596F756E67 as varchar(128))

• TeraByteMe (7/12/2012)

I have I think a unique experience with how many contracts/jobs I have had in the field the last 12 years. I have worked these positions:

I haven't worked in the volume of different types of positions you have (mostly just SQL DBA/Dev), but the number of different positions is not out of my range.

Now for what I really came to talk about. I have found and quit 10 positions in IT in the last 2 year period of time.

That would usually ruin a reputation in consulting, particularly out here by me where the general pool just isn't that big.

All I want to do is find a place where people are honest and forth right with no negative group political dynamics. I am starting to think it doesn't existing on this planet.

Even if they do, they're not hiring very often, if ever. Those types of positions already have queue's of people they're waiting to hire when they get the chance, because they've done their research before hand.

In general, though, if it was 'fun', you'd pay THEM, not the other way around. *shrugs* I work for money, not joy. Look hard enough and you can find a problem anywhere. I'm not saying you haven't ran into a bad run, but really, anyone who will hire someone with that career history that ISN'T a consultant (with a string of successful projects) really doesn't care WHO they hire, they just need to warm a chair.

You want a place that cares? Your resume screams you don't, you wouldn't even get an interview with me unless I just needed a 'hit the ground running for a month' worth of trained monkey work.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Evil Kraig F (7/12/2012)

TeraByteMe (7/12/2012)

I have I think a unique experience with how many contracts/jobs I have had in the field the last 12 years. I have worked these positions:

I haven't worked in the volume of different types of positions you have (mostly just SQL DBA/Dev), but the number of different positions is not out of my range.

Now for what I really came to talk about. I have found and quit 10 positions in IT in the last 2 year period of time.

That would usually ruin a reputation in consulting, particularly out here by me where the general pool just isn't that big.

All I want to do is find a place where people are honest and forth right with no negative group political dynamics. I am starting to think it doesn't existing on this planet.

Even if they do, they're not hiring very often, if ever. Those types of positions already have queue's of people they're waiting to hire when they get the chance, because they've done their research before hand.

In general, though, if it was 'fun', you'd pay THEM, not the other way around. *shrugs* I work for money, not joy. Look hard enough and you can find a problem anywhere. I'm not saying you haven't ran into a bad run, but really, anyone who will hire someone with that career history that ISN'T a consultant (with a string of successful projects) really doesn't care WHO they hire, they just need to warm a chair.

You want a place that cares? Your resume screams you don't, you wouldn't even get an interview with me unless I just needed a 'hit the ground running for a month' worth of trained monkey work.

Your a dick and you work in IT not surprising and DBA at that. Point made. What is up with your username Evil Kraig F? You obviously pride yourself on being a jerk off. I wouldn't take you seriously for nothing and you certainly couldn't pay me enough money to work with the likes of you. Some people care about who they interact with because they have integrity. Your a waste on the human race.

• TeraByteMe (7/12/2012)

Your a **** and you work in IT not surprising and DBA at that. Point made.

You posted in a public place looking for an professional opinion. That you don't like it isn't my fault. I didn't feel like I was being that obnoxious but take is as you will. The trained monkey work can come off as pretty insulting but heck, that's what my job is half the time, and I call it that.

What is up with your username Evil Kraig F?

That's actually a joke, since you ask. Someone misspelled my name a few times while quoting me so I became my 'Evil Twin'. My real name is in my signature at all times, for reference.

You obviously pride yourself on being a jerk off.

Hunh. Interesting. I think you'd find a number of folks here who would argue otherwise, but again, that's perception. That I'm a "jerk off" is why I both volunteer my time here to help people and specifically wrote three articles to help people find and get work in this industry. Interesting conclusion.

I wouldn't take you seriously for nothing and you certainly couldn't pay me enough money to work with the likes of you. Some people care about who they interact with because they have integrity.

My integrity is in my work. It's accurate and it does what was required. It doesn't break laws (and I've had to fight a few managers on that one) and it's done in as timely a manner as possible. That you dislike the idea of working with me is your concern, not mine, unless it becomes an amazingly popular consensus, then I'll deal with it. Having to interact with, and dealing with, business politics is something I generally try to avoid, but it's something we all deal with. Integrity of work and person has little to do with the decisions, requirements, and politics behind project and departmental priorities, unless they're being made in the best interest of the person instead of the task/company. There just tends to be a lot of grey area in that which causes the politics.

Your a waste on the human race.

Now, that you probably won't get an argument from a few of my ex-gfs, but luckily my friends and family disagree with you, so I can live with it.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

• Evil Kraig F (7/12/2012)

TeraByteMe (7/12/2012)

Your a **** and you work in IT not surprising and DBA at that. Point made.

You posted in a public place looking for an professional opinion. That you don't like it isn't my fault. I didn't feel like I was being that obnoxious but take is as you will. The trained monkey work can come off as pretty insulting but heck, that's what my job is half the time, and I call it that.

What is up with your username Evil Kraig F?

That's actually a joke, since you ask. Someone misspelled my name a few times while quoting me so I became my 'Evil Twin'. My real name is in my signature at all times, for reference.

You obviously pride yourself on being a jerk off.

Hunh. Interesting. I think you'd find a number of folks here who would argue otherwise, but again, that's perception. That I'm a "jerk off" is why I both volunteer my time here to help people and specifically wrote three articles to help people find and get work in this industry. Interesting conclusion.

I wouldn't take you seriously for nothing and you certainly couldn't pay me enough money to work with the likes of you. Some people care about who they interact with because they have integrity.

My integrity is in my work. It's accurate and it does what was required. It doesn't break laws (and I've had to fight a few managers on that one) and it's done in as timely a manner as possible. That you dislike the idea of working with me is your concern, not mine, unless it becomes an amazingly popular consensus, then I'll deal with it. Having to interact with, and dealing with, business politics is something I generally try to avoid, but it's something we all deal with. Integrity of work and person has little to do with the decisions, requirements, and politics behind project and departmental priorities, unless they're being made in the best interest of the person instead of the task/company. There just tends to be a lot of grey area in that which causes the politics.

Your a waste on the human race.

Now, that you probably won't get an argument from a few of my ex-gfs, but luckily my friends and family disagree with you, so I can live with it.

How can you deny the blatant truth. You treated me like crab. Here is a saying that I think applies you very well.

The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out. ~Thomas Babington Macaulay

You have no investment in how you treat people you don't know, you certainly do with your friends and family. So they will see the fake good side of you. However, the real character of you shows in how you treat others in your living room armchair talk behind the Internet. I don't usually go out of my way to do a favor for someone as I am doing for you here. Your gut must be churning with hearing the truth. Maybe it will spark you to be a better person? But I will never get credit for it.

• TeraByteMe (7/12/2012)

How can you deny the blatant truth. You treated me like crab. Here is a saying that I think applies you very well.

The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out. ~Thomas Babington Macaulay

You have no investment in how you treat people you don't know, you certainly do with your friends and family. So they will see the fake good side of you. However, the real character of you shows in how you treat others in your living room armchair talk behind the Internet. I don't usually go out of my way to do a favor for someone as I am doing for you here. Your gut must be churning with hearing the truth. Maybe it will spark you to be a better person? But I will never get credit for it.

I'm afraid I don't know what being treated like a crab means, but I'll be willing to continue this conversation via PM if you insist. But, no, my gut's not churning. I never feel bad for stating my opinion when someone asks for it. As to 'hiding' my character, my name is right there and on my resume I use my participation here as a reference for interested parties.

I will trade you quote for quote, however...

It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you are not.

~Andre Gide

I do not hide in the dark, sorry to disappoint. This will, however, be my last response here, so you may have the last word if you choose. If you don't want an answer, never ask the question.

- Craig Farrell

• TeraByteMe:

You may be overreacting a tad. In fact a few months ago (http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1277447-338-2.aspx) you were thanking the very same Craig for helping you and taking the time to share his expertise; now you're calling him a waste of life.

TeraByteMe (4/4/2012)

Opc.three and Craig thank you very much for you advice and efforts in sharing your knowledge. I do very much value your replies. Thanks.

For what it's worth, I would agree with Craig's assessment; when I'm hiring for a new position, I see an erratic job history (10 positions in 2 years) as a big red flag (unless it involved 10 short contracts and the hiring companies were always left satisfied - even then I might wonder why the candidate didn't actively pursue longer-scale projects).

I'm not trying to judge your motivations, you may have had very good reasons for wanting to leave those positions. But I would agree that such a history would probably hinder, not help, a candidate in landing his/her dream job.

You're certainly correct that finding a position relatively free of political maneuverings is difficult, at best. All Craig was trying to point out is that finding one's dream job requires, apart from luck, presenting to potential employers your best face; and an erratic job history hurts that effort. It's true that he didn't try to sugar coat it, but you yourself decried politics, and asked for honesty and forthrightness, so he probably figured you wanted the unadorned truth.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply