Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise - Using windows update SQL Server 2008 R2 sp2 does not appear

• Does anyone know why when using windows update sometimes service packs or other updates are not displayed? For instance, I was just reviewing one of my servers and it was running 10.50.2500 (SQL server 2008 R2 SP1). When I did a windows update, everything came back green, no updates available. I checked again, again nothing. I knew there was SP2 lurking out there; why wasn't windows reporting it as an available download?

I'm half way through installing it now; but I was curious; why didn't it display? My system met all the requirements.

Anyone been through this before and found an answer?

Thanks!

Nick

• I think you are talking about 2 different things. Window update will show you if updates are ready in window level. But SQL SP2 you have to download and run thru wizard.

• I installed SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 through windows update.

• There is an option in Windows Update to include "other Microsoft products", which will prompt you to accept license and update the WSUS control on the server.

after this, usually MS Office, Visual Studio run-times and SQL servers updates will be visible.

SQL Padre
    aka Robert M Bishop

"Do or do not, there is no try" -- Yoda

• In the SQL Server install... fire it up and there is a place to check for updates. Click on that. I think it basically goes out to the MSFT site, compares your version of SQL Server to what is the latest and will show SP2.

• Be aware that SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 has two security vulnerabilities you'll need to patch after the upgrade:

MS14-044

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply