Why isn't my CROSS APPLY working like an inner join?

• My understanding of CROSS APPLY is that it should behave like an inner join.

In the example I've created, I still get records with no match from my "function" table.

This is the first time I've posted code here so please be patient if I screw it up a couple of times.

PS: The trailing commas in my lists are not an issue.

create table #tmpClients

(

ClientKey int,

ClientName varchar(4)

)

insert #tmpClients

select 1,'Joe' union

select 2,'Jim' union

Select 3,'Jane' union

Select 4,'Jon'

create table #tmpAppointments

(

AppointmentKey int identity,

ClientKey int,

AppointmentDate datetime

)

insert #tmpAppointments

select 2,'1/1/2012' union

select 3,'2/1/2012' union

select 2,'3/1/2012' union

select 3,'4/1/2012'

select ClientName, a.AppointmentList

from #tmpClients c

cross apply

(

select convert(char(10),ap.AppointmentDate,101) + ',' as [text()]

from #tmpAppointments ap

where c.ClientKey = ap.ClientKey

order by ap.AppointmentDate

for XML path('')

) a (AppointmentList)

order by 1

drop table #tmpClients, #tmpAppointments

• My understanding of CROSS APPLY is that it should behave like an inner join.

CROSS APPLY behaves like a LEFT OUTER JOIN, so you will a row for each Client that has no appointments.

Just add "where a.AppointmentList is not null"

SQL = Scarcely Qualifies as a Language

• I believe CROSS APPLY is more like a cartesian product. If you want the join effect could you try something like this.

select ClientName, AppointmentList

from #tmpClients c

JOIN (

SELECT DISTINCTap.ClientKey, STUFF((SELECT ',' + convert(char(10),t1.AppointmentDate,101) FROM #tmpAppointments t1 WHERE t1.ClientKey = ap.ClientKey

FOR XML PATH('')),1,1, '') AS AppointmentList

FROM #tmpAppointments ap

) a ON

a.ClientKey = c.ClientKey

It would also have the side effect of no trailing comma in case you want to ultimately get rid of that.

Cliff

• Have a look at this article.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (12/14/2011)

Have a look at this article.

That is part 2, the first part is here: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/

• SQL Kiwi (12/14/2011)

SQLRNNR (12/14/2011)

Have a look at this article.

That is part 2, the first part is here: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/

Yeah - I went with part deux due to the comment about the Cross being a Left Join. OP needs to understand that is not a hard and fast rule.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Carl Federl (12/14/2011)

My understanding of CROSS APPLY is that it should behave like an inner join.

CROSS APPLY behaves like a LEFT OUTER JOIN, so you will a row for each Client that has no appointments.

Just add "where a.AppointmentList is not null"

That's outer apply, actually, as far as I know. It's odd that cross apply is giving this result.

Poking away...

This, for example, acts correctly like a join:

select ClientName, a.AppointmentList

from #tmpClients c

cross apply

(

select convert(char(10),ap.AppointmentDate,101) + ',' as [text()]

from #tmpAppointments ap

where c.ClientKey = ap.ClientKey

--order by ap.AppointmentDate

--for XML path('')

) a (AppointmentList)

order by 1

Thus, it's got something to do with the FOR XML operation. I haven't goofed with it for a while so I'm getting syntax errors but you're going to need something similar to this:

select ClientName, b.AppointmentList

from #tmpClients c

cross apply

(select

a.AppointmentList

FROM

(

select ap.ClientKey, convert(char(10),ap.AppointmentDate,101) + ',' as [text()]

from #tmpAppointments ap

order by ap.AppointmentDate

for XML path('')

) a (ClientKey, AppointmentList)

where

c.ClientKey = a.ClientKey

) AS b

order by

However, that code is invalid, I've got it all tangled up and will need to toy with it a bit.

CROSS APPLY does = Join... except when FOR XML gets involved, apparently... Must have something to do with creating a NULL row for non-included xml components.

EDIT: Which is discussed in a lot more detail and more effectively in Paul's articles that they both he and Jason linked. Look near the end of the 'second' article. Ima gonna go be quiet now. :hehe: (Teach me to leave windows open for too long without refreshing the thread...)

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• That's outer apply, actually, as far as I know. It's odd that cross apply is giving this result.

Thanks for the validation, Craig.:-) I read both parts one and two of that article prior to my post. It does appear that CROSS APPLY = INNER JOIN is not an absolute. Be nice to know why.

• jshahan (12/15/2011)

I read both parts one and two of that article prior to my post. It does appear that CROSS APPLY = INNER JOIN is not an absolute. Be nice to know why.

This is just the semantics of SQL - specifically the behaviour of scalar aggregates on empty sets - as discussed in the Extra Credit section of part 2.

SELECT T.v FROM (SELECT 1 WHERE 0 = 1 FOR XML PATH('')) AS T (v) -- single row & column containing NULL

SELECT 1 WHERE 0 = 1 FOR XML PATH('') -- empty result set (no rows, no columns)

FOR XML is an aggregate:

DECLARE @T1 TABLE

(

col1 INTEGER NOT NULL

)

DECLARE @T2 TABLE

(

col1 INTEGER NOT NULL,

col2 CHAR(1) NOT NULL

)

INSERT @T1

(col1)

VALUES

(1),

(2)

INSERT @T2

(col1, col2)

VALUES

(1, 'a'),

(1, 'b')

SELECT

FROM @T1 AS t1

CROSS APPLY

(

-- Scalar aggregate

SELECT

',' + t2.col2

FROM @T2 AS t2

WHERE

t2.col1 = t1.col1

FOR XML PATH('')

) AS ca (csv)

SELECT

FROM @T1 AS t1

CROSS APPLY

(

-- Scalar aggregate

SELECT

MAX(t2.col2)

FROM @T2 AS t2

WHERE

t2.col1 = t1.col1

) AS ca (csv)

The logical comparison section at the top of part two attempts to make the distinction between JOIN and APPLY clear. The important point is whether the function returns a row or not. Where the function is a scalar aggregate, a row is always returned, as is required by SQL. In cases where the function does not return a row, you need an OUTER APPLY.

• Thanks, Paul. I re-read the Extra Credit section of part II (great job by the way and thank you) and your last response and believe I can paraphrase it as: If your function returns a NULL in certain conditions by design (as in the case of the FOR XML aggregate), then you will get a row returned because the NULL is a valid as any other value.

Am I close?

• jshahan (12/15/2011)

Thanks, Paul. I re-read the Extra Credit section of part II (great job by the way and thank you) and your last response and believe I can paraphrase it as: If your function returns a NULL in certain conditions by design (as in the case of the FOR XML aggregate), then you will get a row returned because the NULL is a valid as any other value.

Am I close?

Yes 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply