What Data is Really Needed?

• Matt Miller (4) - Thursday, August 16, 2018 8:14 AM

As scary as that might be - I don't think we can just blindly trust individual organization to have the public's best interests in mind.  The big 5 on data gathering all have a LOT of blood on their hands as to strong-arming everyone into supplying data they ultimately do NOT need to run. 

Also- it's not like Zuck has a great track record at safeguarding our data.  He looked more than a predator than anything else, at least from my set of cheap seats.

My Zuck example was just for effect. Humorous to hear him talk. Similar to other videos about congress trying to explain the internet. 

Nobody is advocating blind trust (to my knowledge) to any institution. You are very correct about  data abuse from the big players. There is no clean solution. It is, IMO, a matter of values and judgment. Choosing the poison that is less harmful.

• Jeff Mlakar - Thursday, August 16, 2018 10:07 AM

My Zuck example was just for effect. Humorous to hear him talk. Similar to other videos about congress trying to explain the internet. 

Nobody is advocating blind trust (to my knowledge) to any institution. You are very correct about  data abuse from the big players. There is no clean solution. It is, IMO, a matter of values and judgment. Choosing the poison that is less harmful.

Agreed.  I would love a third party system, where knowledgeable experts with no agenda have the authority to make such rules and enforce them. 
    Both parts of that equation seem difficult to pull off in practical terms (i.e. how do you find someone who is knowledgeable about a given industry to the point of being able to make such a ruling without them being part of said industry, and  - how would some "unofficial" third party group ever gain enough clout to enforce whatever rulings without being essentially part of some government.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• I like the multiple person registration
    If I get hit by a truck tomorrow, the other people on the account can continue to own the domain without having to go to court and prove they have a right to it.
    It should not be required, but it should always be available for the sake of the stakeholders of the domain.

• To get more insightful analysis, so that things can be properly managed.

• Frank W Fulton Jr - Thursday, August 16, 2018 4:54 PM

I like the multiple person registration
    If I get hit by a truck tomorrow, the other people on the account can continue to own the domain without having to go to court and prove they have a right to it.
    It should not be required, but it should always be available for the sake of the stakeholders of the domain.

But ICANN do not need it. It's not like it's impossible to provide a domain registration service with only one point of contact. I don't think it's particularly difficult for a judge to listen to and resolve an argument on the actual requirement for a piece of personally identifiable information in providing a service rather than any given business wanting the information. If you can't make a plain English argument for why it would be impossible to provide a service without that information, then you almost certainly do not need it.

In my experience businesses have a habit of over-collecting (because it might be useful later) and anything which pushes them towards absolutely minimizing their data collection is ultimately a good thing.

• ICANN can defend itself by explaining the contact information is essential to it's core business operations. In the age of GDPR, organizations will need to be more transparent about their operations.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I think this is partially an explanation and partially an argument for why.

In that sense, reasonable people can make some decision in judgment of how to view the business need for data. However, in these cases, the ability to argue and debate becomes more important than anything else.

• andycadley - Saturday, August 18, 2018 9:05 AM

But ICANN do not need it. It's not like it's impossible to provide a domain registration service with only one point of contact. I don't think it's particularly difficult for a judge to listen to and resolve an argument on the actual requirement for a piece of personally identifiable information in providing a service rather than any given business wanting the information. If you can't make a plain English argument for why it would be impossible to provide a service without that information, then you almost certainly do not need it.

In my experience businesses have a habit of over-collecting (because it might be useful later) and anything which pushes them towards absolutely minimizing their data collection is ultimately a good thing.

But see your way involves a judge getting involved, which means lawyers and the like which means unnecessary costs.  By having multiples we eliminate the unnecessary costs.
    Remember it should be optional not required!

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply