What are the Pros and Cons of SSRS subscriptions?

• Where I work, we've been living with SSRS 2005 for quite some time. (Who knows if we'll ever upgrade....)

For all this time, we haven't had a need to make use of report subscriptions. But quite recently, the need has arisen to deliver reports via email to various colleagues. So, myself and another IT person setup the subscriptions in report manager without much trouble.

But, it's got me thinking. Is it better for an IT group to manage subscriptions or to let users setup their own subscriptions? What are the pros and cons of these two approaches?

Thanks,

Pete

• bump

• The answer is rather simple: it depends.

If there's a dedicated report server doing nothing but providing reports and there's a business oriented security model implemented (e.g. all reports are based on procedures with permissions assigned to windows user groups representing business units) and the skill level of the end user is adequate to handle the subscriptions then I'd leave it for them to sign up for subscriptions.

Otherwise, I wouldn't.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• Pros :- Automated process don't have to bother about scheduling report every now and then. Data driven subscription allows you to pass multiple parameters without bothering about reports. Reports generated could be emailed or shared on drive to business user.

Cons :- Not beneficial for limited number of reports and one time run reports with limited parameters.

Ankit
    MCITP Database developer SQL 2008,MCTS Database Administration SQL 2008
    "Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose.
    You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.”

• At our company we have over 1000 subscriptions. All subscriptions are user supported. We write the reports and make sure its working. Subscriptions are setup by them. Of course many times users dont know what their doing and we end up looking into some of the subscriptions issues anyway. but in general it is users responsibiliy.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply