What’s going on, on my server, right now?

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item What’s going on, on my server, right now?

Thanks,
    Kimberly Killian
    Sr. DBA / DB Engineer
    www.sitedataview.com
    Follow me on Twitter
    Follow me on Facebook

• Nice article!

You might also want to look at "What SQL Statements Are Currently Executing?"

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/DMV/64425/

Thanks

Ian

• what version's of SS will support you did not mention I am getting 2 errors...

Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Line 2

Incorrect syntax near '90'. ( I changed it to 90 as we are using SS2k5 Sp1)

Msg 102, Level 15, State 6, Line 1

Incorrect syntax near 'HONOR_BROKER_PRIORITY'.

• Nicely done. Just curious why you aren't using the Dynamic Management Views (DMV) to retrieve a lot of that information?

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• what are you using to detect CPU is at 90%? the alert you create does not appear to have the required component of

@performance_condition=N'Resource Pool Stats|CPU usage %|default|>|90',

also, this code is bad;

SELECT

convert(varchar(50), program_name),

count(*),

sum(cpu),

sum(datediff(second, login_time, getdate()))

FROM master..sysprocesses

WHERE spid > 50

GROUP BY convert(varchar(50), program_name)

ORDER BY 7 DESC

you only have 4 columns.... you can't ORDER BY the 7th column.

It's an interesting approach overall. I am fan of email alerting on certain conditions occuring on the server.

• Nice post, I think there is an issue in code line PROGRAM_NAME not in (''Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio '') but it's an simple mistake :).

Really glad to see such a nice post.

Thanks,

Anil Maharjan

• Sorry, my bad! SQL Server 2008 R2 is what I have it running on.

Thanks,
    Kimberly Killian
    Sr. DBA / DB Engineer
    www.sitedataview.com
    Follow me on Twitter
    Follow me on Facebook

• I believe I said in my article that you can attach this to any alert you wanted, however good catch, i'll update my article.

Thanks,
    Kimberly Killian
    Sr. DBA / DB Engineer
    www.sitedataview.com
    Follow me on Twitter
    Follow me on Facebook

• You could definately use the DMV for this info as well. I just like to have an alternative. I always set up a batch of reports for my clients and these just fit in well with my personal solution.

Thanks,
    Kimberly Killian
    Sr. DBA / DB Engineer
    www.sitedataview.com
    Follow me on Twitter
    Follow me on Facebook

• @ian - great addition! I will add this to my daily use. Thanks.

Thanks,
    Kimberly Killian
    Sr. DBA / DB Engineer
    www.sitedataview.com
    Follow me on Twitter
    Follow me on Facebook

• Kim Killian-SiteDataView (7/22/2013)

Comments posted to this topic are about the item <A HREF="/articles/SQL+Monitoring/100615/">What’s going on, on my server, right now?</A>

Have you looked into sp_whoisActive .. it is much more powerful than sp_who2 ?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    HTH !
    Kin
    MCTS : 2005, 2008
    Active SQL Server Community Contributor 🙂

• Kim Killian-SiteDataView (7/22/2013)

Comments posted to this topic are about the item <A HREF="/articles/SQL+Monitoring/100615/">What’s going on, on my server, right now?</A>

Have you looked into sp_whoisActive .. it is much more powerful than sp_who2 ?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    HTH !
    Kin
    MCTS : 2005, 2008
    Active SQL Server Community Contributor 🙂

• Have a conscious strategy to deal with table locking on the system tables. You are probably better off getting an inconsistent view of the data then holding up the server with a lock.

• Okay, I've been meaning to do something like this for a while, but to have it laid out as a copy/paste job! Must say I am impressed. Intend to use this!

• Great article. However, personallly I wouldn't use column numbers in the order by clause. It's a bit of a bad habit in my opinion and can cause issues later on down the track.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply