very large database, flaky internet connection, constantly having to snapshot

• I am replicating a very large database, flaky internet connection , constantly having to snapshot.

The Transactional initial snapshoot is having problems due to flakly internet connections to remove SQL Server 2000 publications. The subscription have been marked inactive and must be reinitialized. MS SQL Server error 21074.

Thanks a lot.
    TJ
  • How large is very large?

How much new data do you get daily?

Transactional Replication load depends on the number of changes not the size of the db and the servers and links between dictate what the capacity is.

There is no formula that I know of that can be used to determine this but experience has taught me that systems which import large volumes of data cannot support transactional replication reliably. Flaky connections are a really good killer.

If you are finding your snapshots take too long then you can use a technique of restoring a backup to the subscriber.

This requires putting the database in single user mode etc.

You may want to consider using another solution which can handle your flaky connection.

DTS, Log Shipping are potential candidates.

• Just my 2 cents, is it not possible to address the internet connection problem? You're in Dallas, right? Surely you can get a decent connection there???

• Whenever I have a flaky connection I find that log shipping is my preferred choice.  Is that possible for your scenario?

- Paul

http://paulpaivasql.blogspot.com/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply