Upgrading SSRS2000 to SSRS2008 is giving me a scale-out deployment error

• I am planning for an upgrade from SQL Server 2000 standard edition to SQL Server 2008 standard edition.

The setup we have is that SQL Server is installed on one server, but SSRS is installed on a second server, both running on Windows 2003 R2 SP2

I have installed SQL Server and SSRS on their respective new servers, configured them accordingly, and added the RSExecRole to the master and msdb database, restored the ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB from the SQL 2000 backups. I have then added the RSExecRole to the db_owner as noted in other forum postings, and restored the encryption key successfully. SSRS is running under the NT Authority/Network Service account.

Now I have the following issues:

If I try and launch the Report Manager, I am getting an error informing me that scale-out deployment is not available in this edition. However I only have one SSRS server.

If I remove the entry in the scale-out deployment, the encryption key is also removed and I have no access, instead the Report Manager now informs me that the server is not configured.

If I then delete the encrypted content I can gain access to the reports, and entering the credentials and connection strings to the data sources allows me to view the report. however if I try to access the site settings and schedules, I get "An error occurred within the report server database. This may be due to a connection failure...."

I don't really want to install SSRS on the same server as SQL unless I absolutely have to.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

---------------------------------------
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    It is by the Beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
    the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning.

• I've got it sorted and thought I'd post the solution in case this trips anyone else up. I didn't notice what had happened until I tried to have the report server create a new database.

On the scale-out deployment tab, there were two lines listed. One had the server name, but the other was completely blank with the exception of "joined".

I highlighted this line and deleted it and everything worked perfectly, rendering reports, schedules, the works.

:w00t:

• in order to resolve the issue, I would like to explain the following

1 when you configure the SQL 2008 report server, the report database is

setup on the SQL Server 2008. is it correct? if so, we need transfer the

data in the SQL 2000 reporting database into the SQL 2008 reporting

database. the suggested way is to backup/restore. in the other hand, please

re-configure the SQL 2008 reproting server to point the reporting database

which is on the SQL 2000 instance.

2 if the SQL 2008 report database is pointed to the reporting database

which is on the SQL 2000 instance; to further diagnose the issue, we need

some information. please send an email to me. my email address is

v-fathan@online.microsoft.com(remove online). and then I will create a

FTP(workspace) fro you.

RAQ Report: Web-based Excel-like Java reporting tool[/url]

• When we installed SQL Server 2008, we did so with SQL 2008 on one server and SSRS on another server, this caused it to install with no report server databases created.

We detached the report server databases from SQL 2000 and reattached thm to SQL 2008, then started reporting services and told it to use this database.

However, even though there was no initial SQL 2008 database, the scale out deployment ended up with two entries. One listed the database we had just attached, the other was completely blank - which was why we never spotted it in the first place.

Once the blank line was selected and removed from the scale-out deployment screen, everything came up and ran normally with no problems.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply