Upgrade Advisor Errors

• I'm attempting to use the new Data Migration Assistant tool for the first time.  I've used the old upgrade advisor for numerous upgrades, but this is my first go with the new tool.  In trying to connect it to a SQL Server 2008 R2 instance, I get an error saying it can't connect.  It says, "Connection to the server failed.  Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow."  I know my 2008 R2 instance is up and available.  I've searched the internet for this error and have yet to see anything close.  I've also attempted to remove and re-install the migration assistant a couple of times. 

I'm running my 2008 R2 instance on my laptop, which is not connected to a network.  The migration assistant is installed on the same machine. 

Any ideas?

John Rowan

======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• John Rowan - Sunday, May 7, 2017 8:20 PM

I'm attempting to use the new Data Migration Assistant tool for the first time.  I've used the old upgrade advisor for numerous upgrades, but this is my first go with the new tool.  In trying to connect it to a SQL Server 2008 R2 instance, I get an error saying it can't connect.  It says, "Connection to the server failed.  Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow."  I know my 2008 R2 instance is up and available.  I've searched the internet for this error and have yet to see anything close.  I've also attempted to remove and re-install the migration assistant a couple of times. 

I'm running my 2008 R2 instance on my laptop, which is not connected to a network.  The migration assistant is installed on the same machine. 

Any ideas?

Did you check the system requirements for DMA to see if your laptop meets those? It lists the following:
    Supported Operating System:
    Windows 10 , Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012
    Windows 7 64-bit or above
    .NET Framework 4.5 64-bit or above

Sue

• I'll have to go back and check on the .NET framework.  It's a Windows 10 laptop, 64-bit.  I'm pretty sure I've got the right .NET framework as I'm running Visual Studios 2015 on that machine as well.  I'll double check it this evening when I get home.

John Rowan

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• not sure if it is related, but back when i had 2008/R2 instances, i had the built in procedure sp_spaceused return the same error, because i had some very large databases that exceeded the size of an int, and sp_spaceused had an overflow.

Prove to yourself that might be the issue,a nd just run sp_spaceused; do you get an error?
    If the app used that proc, it might raise the error form the proc.

that procedure was updated later, i believe, when i peeked at my 2016 version, it does not error on huge  tables like 2008 did.

Edit: found the connect article:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/674288/sp-spaceused-arithmetic-overflow-error

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks Lowell, I'll check that tonight as well.  I should have brought my laptop with me today!

John Rowan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply