Update Rows by Increment of 500

• Hi,

This may seem a little strange. But here is my challenge. I have data in Table 1. I execute 4 different insert Stored Procedures that summarize data from Table 1 and insert it into Table 2. Once this is complete. I need to then go and update a column in Table 2 for the newley insterted rows. The update needs to increment by 500 for each newly added row in Table 2.

For example, when executing the 4 SP that insert data into table 2 from table 1, six new rows are added to table 2. I need to do the following

ROW 1, 500

ROW 2, 1000

ROW 3, 1500

ROW 4, 2000

ROW 5, 2500

ROW 6, 3000

Thanks

• Hi

use the following query.

with cte(col1,col2,rownum) as (

select col1,col2,row_number() over(order by col)

from table2

where <condition >

)

update t2

set column1=rownum*500

from table2 t2 inner join cte

on <join conditions>

where <condition>

in the CTE select the keys of the table table2 that should participate in the join in the update.order the row_number function by the column that You use to order when you row1,row2,row3 etc.resultset of the query would be

col1,col2,1

col1,col2,2

col1,col2,3

and so on.

when u update u multiply the rownum value (1,2,3) with 500 to the desired result.

• Thank you for your reply!!! I seem to have a problem though. Below is the script I am using with 5 rows affected. What is happening is I am getting the follwoiugn results:

Here is the script

with cte(Transfer_SID,Batch_Ref_Num,rownum) as (

select Transfer_SID,Batch_Ref_Num,row_number() over(order by Transfer_SID)

from tbl_Step3_TranBatch

where Transfer_SID=69 AND Batch_ref_Num='xx45th'

)

update t2

Set t2.SQCLINE = rownum*500

from tbl_Step3_TranBatch t2 inner join cte on t2.Transfer_SID=cte.Transfer_SID

where t2.Transfer_SID=69 AND t2.Batch_ref_Num='xx45th'

• Hi....After a little research on CTE i have figured it out!!!! THANK YOU SOOO MUCH

• Please post your solution so that others may benefit.

Julie

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply