Union and Union All

• Hi Duncan Pryde,

for your question

#Query1 Answer is only A

#Query2 Answer is A,A

• Duncan Pryde (7/9/2012)

Not a bad question, and got me thinking about other possible questions, so here goes - how many rows are returned in the two following cases?

-- Query 1

SELECT 'A'

UNION ALL

SELECT 'A'

UNION

SELECT 'A'

-- Query 2

SELECT 'A'

UNION

SELECT 'A'

UNION ALL

SELECT 'A'

Try to guess first, then use MS to verify. 😀

Knowing how sometimes several consecutive (or semi-consecutive) QOTDs have followed a theme, I can't help but wonder if Mr. Pryde just ruined someone's forthcoming submission.

• Nice, simple, but useful question. THanks!

I almost answered the question as I first misread it:

SELECT 'A'

UNION ALL

(SELECT 'B'

UNION

SELECT 'A')

Which gives the A,A,B I almost clicked on. I have my tea now, so everything is all right. 😉

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

• Bob Razumich (7/9/2012)

Knowing how sometimes several consecutive (or semi-consecutive) QOTDs have followed a theme, I can't help but wonder if Mr. Pryde just ruined someone's forthcoming submission.

It did occur to me (after I posted of course), but normally, people put "1" in the title if it's the first part of a series, so fingers crossed.

• I thought it looked familiar!

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Questions/Tags/UNION/UNION/

• Nice easy question. Great for a Monday morning to get some brain juices going. :doze:

Everything is awesome!

• Toreador (7/9/2012)

I thought it looked familiar!

I'm working backwards through the QODs at the moment after a bit of a gap, so hadn't seen the March 8th question. However, reading the discussion for the question it shows how important order of UNIONs and the addition or omission of parentheses are!

• Nice and easy back-to-basics question. Thank you, Sanjeewan.

"El" Jerry.

"El" Jerry.

"A watt of Ottawa" - Gerardo Galvan

To better understand your help request, please follow these best practices.[/url]

• thanks for the question - cheers

• Toreador (7/9/2012)

I thought it looked familiar!

Except that the earlier QotD was more challenging for me (and I got it wrong because I thought UNION took precedence over UNION ALL) than this one (which had a set of parentheses forcing precedence).

• Nice easy question but the parenthenses are meaningless in this question they have no impact on the results.

• Nice and easy ...

Thanks

• Thanks for this question. After last wek it is just whats needed.

• mike.broniszewski (7/9/2012)

Nice easy question but the parenthenses are meaningless in this question they have no impact on the results.

Neither does the UNION ALL.

• Nice one thank you

Iulian

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply