Try to focus on the positive

• However stressful and/or repetitive my job can be (it really helps to enjoy doing restores 😉 ) I try to remain grateful that I get to come to a really nice office in one of the best cities in the world (London), I get paid a good salary with scope for earning more, and I'm not exactly working in an asbestos mine.

There is a lot I would change if I could, but compared to most people in the world I am very lucky, and I try to stay mindful of that. (It's not always easy :-P.)

• I am not grateful for how I always seem to do double-posts on this site even though I only click once 😉 . It doesn't happen on any other sites.

• hakim.ali (6/10/2014)

djackson 22568 (6/10/2014)

...He was easily smarter and better than everyone else on the team, yet was paid less than all of us....

Yikes. I hope he's moved on to better things.

I'm thankful my workplace does not practice this culture.

ALL of us did.

Dave

• djackson 22568 (6/10/2014)

hakim.ali (6/10/2014)

djackson 22568 (6/10/2014)

...He was easily smarter and better than everyone else on the team, yet was paid less than all of us....

Yikes. I hope he's moved on to better things.

I'm thankful my workplace does not practice this culture.

ALL of us did.

The few times across an attitude like that no one was prepared to hang around. Sometimes it is difficult to call it out when it doesn't effect oneself directly so it seems easier to abandon the rotting moral carcass of a ship and say good riddance.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Thanks for this editorial. You know, it's funny. A lot of things that I used to see as grumpy in DBAs or in other IT people is actually a lot to be thankful for upon closer inspection. I admire the way that grumpiness really implies a tremendous amount of care and pride in taking care of your stuff, as it were. The perceived negativity usually arises when one spots a potential risk or that someone doesn't appreciate the implications of a seemingly innocuous action. This can start as something one spots in oneself and tries to weed out with increasing frequency in oneself and in everyone else around.

I am thankful for the mentors at SQL Server Central and in my career that have helped me cultivate that protective attitude toward data and servers. Of course I aim to be better at this tomorrow than I am today, but I see that kind of "productive grumpiness" - for lack of a better term - as a sign that the grumpy one is looking out for me.

- webrunner

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• "productive grumpiness"? Have we woken the sleeping Jeff??? :blink:

Gaz

• Sometimes it can be a very frustrating job being a DBA though (as can most jobs), as (I think) webrunner alluded to earlier, a lot of my grumpiness in the past has been because I know what I could do to make servers etc behave better, but with a management that does not understand, or that is not willing to accept the responsibility, I just could not get the time to work on it. Or the money to fix it.

However, I have worked a place where I was working 60+ hour weeks, and did it pretty much every week, for years. Pretty hard to stay positive about that, except that I kept receiving a paycheck throughout the 2008-20111 dark days. Add to that no backup DBA, so even on vacation I had to carry my Blackberry. Yuck! Left the job though, and have a much better life quality now 🙂

• I'm grateful to be able to work from home. (I'm especially grateful for that in the winter when the roads are a mess.)

I'm grateful to work for a manager that appreciates what I do.

I'm grateful for what I can learn from this site.

• Anders Pedersen (6/10/2014)

I kept receiving a paycheck throughout the 2008-20111 dark days.

That was a long time to work at a bad job. 🙂 I am grateful I have never worked anywhere that long.

Dave

• djackson 22568 (6/10/2014)

Anders Pedersen (6/10/2014)

I kept receiving a paycheck throughout the 2008-20111 dark days.

That was a long time to work at a bad job. 🙂 I am grateful I have never worked anywhere that long.

Well you know, us DBAs will invent the TARDIS in about 20,000 years to be able to get everything done our clients wants us to do 🙂

• Thankful for the Love of God, and the Lord's forgiveness. Thankful for my parents, relatives, friends, and all the strangers who have helped me.

Thankful that I am not six feet underground and have no physical shortcomings.

Being grumpy benefits nobody, no matter whatever may cause it.

• I'm thankful for God's love, grace and forgiveness, a wonderful wife and people in communities such as these who tolerate the faults in me and others and grateful for the editorial reminder this morning of how good I really have it. Grumpiness is a choice and always a bad one when I have chosen it in the past.

• I'm thankful for my job which gives lots of material to post on the WTF site while looking for a real job... 😀

• chrisn-585491 (6/12/2014)

I'm thankful for my job which gives lots of material to post on the WTF site while looking for a real job... 😀

I'm thankful for posts, like the above, that brighten my day!!!

Gaz

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply