Triple Digits

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Triple Digits

• In response to the Oracle 7%, I believe that this is a historical hangover. When a lot of SQL Server installations were maintained by good intentioned accidental DBAs then I truly believe that they didn't warrant the same renumeration as data professionals.

Nowadays I think that you get a similar level of experience on most mature RDBMS platforms (I am talking SQL Server, Oracle, DB2, etc.). The pay disparity is historical as sometimes are the perceptions.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• It also did say in the article "to add 10 percent to IT salaries for workers having Microsoft SQL Server database skills ". So that leads me to believe that a skill set with SQL Server is in higher demand.

• "When I'm 64..." Well I'm here and I still don't make triple digits. Maybe before I retire.

• The extra 7% for Oracle people is probably because they don't have a community like SQLServerCentral (and all the rest) to help them figure stuff out. If someone offered me an extra 7% on my salary to use the resources on the web available to Oracle DBAs, I certainly wouldn't do it.

• In my personal opinion, this trend may be caused by companies realizing that one of their most valuable assets is their information.

Regarding the oracle 7%, I also think this is a historical hangover, as Oracle used to be the non-plus-ultra of any-sized databases, it required skilled technical people who in the labor market were more expensive.

"El" Jerry.

"A watt of Ottawa" - Gerardo Galvan

To better understand your help request, please follow these best practices.[/url]

• Wow, now I really feel underpaid. 😉 I can see the 7% bump for Oracle merely because it's more difficult to find someone with those skills versus MSSQL. In my current market, it's tough to find quality DB talent...most companies are becoming more open to WFH and hiring remote candidates.

Aigle de Guerre!

• Like many people I find salary surveys to be very interesting. It's interesting to see how you compare to others in your area or in other parts of the country. And I've found Robert Half's (RHT) survey to be useful.

However, I've also come to view it somewhat with suspicion. Early in my current job search I was contacted by a recruiter for a position in New York City. One of the questions that the recruiter asked me was what I wanted to earn there; what my salary range was. Now, in fairness to RHT and their survey, the recruiter gave me nothing to go on. He wouldn't tell me what the company was he was recruiting for, nor would he tell me what the industry was, nor would be even tell me what the position was. So I used by position title, skills, education and training, and to the best of my ability using RHT's 2014 salary survey and giving it a lot of thought, I finally gave the recruiter my salary range. You could almost tell through his response that he choked when he saw my estimated salary survey. I apparently was wildly over estimating what someone like me could make in NYC. But I was giving it my best shot, taking into account the difference in cost of living between where I currently live (the Albuquerque, NM area) and that of NYC, with my title, skills, education and so on. That recruitment went no where.

So although I find the RHT salary survey's to be enlightening and useful, I also take it with the proverbial grain of salt.

Rod

• I worked in NYC for a while. Exciting, but expensive. If you are young, single, and looking for an interesting time, great, but if not, then don't bother unless they pay top dollar.

The more you are prepared, the less you need it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply