The School Year

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item The School Year

• Guitar. This season I hope to learn something outside the world of keys and indices. I've always found learning that doesn't seem to relate to work to unclog those neural pathways that work is trying to use, while giving me a glimpse of how things out in the real world interact.

• More on Big Data and Big Data Analytics.

Maybe some SharePoint development.

• In view of the coming big data/data analytics wave, I'm working my way through a book on calculus. I took an online Statistics class sponsored by Univ of Toronto there earlier this year and it was very well done (Jeff Rosenthal, author of "Struck by Lightning", was one of the instructors). I'm also scheduled for a programming class through Coursera starting later this month.

They have quite a few courses geared toward programming, databases and IT. Worth checking out, especially since it is 100% free.

• Learning is a lifelong process. One should always be learning on the job. If you're not, you're doing a disservice to your employer.

I'm taking up the trumpet again. I'm going to be delving into the jazz world. That will entail lots of new learning. I have a mentor who will assist me. With only a few years left before retirement, I hope to have enough chops to do it full time and maybe make a few bucks in the process.

Not only will I be mentored, I will be mentoring. A young person who wants to know more about I.T. than he can learn in school wants to know more. I'm sure I will learn something there, too.

Tom

• I'm currently pursuing an MBA. But the rough part of it is the summer class I'm taking right now. Hopefully I get a little more breathing room when fall term begins.

The opinions expressed herein are strictly personal and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of my employer.

• I'm looking at Office 365; it's time to start training for what (I hope) will be my next job. Hello, services- goodbye, support!

• I definitely learn something new every day just hanging out here at SSC.com 🙂

• I'm delving deeper into the OSS and public data world: Python, pandas, PostgreSQL...

• I'll continue with photography as a outlet to C# programming. I am in a very small minority in the local camera club since I'm the only one that hasn't gone digital. I also want to improve my golf photography skills, which is nonexistent, since I'll be attending Monday's practice round of The Masters next April.

• Ralph Hightower (8/2/2013)

I'll continue with photography as a outlet to C# programming. I am in a very small minority in the local camera club since I'm the only one that hasn't gone digital. I also want to improve my golf photography skills, which is nonexistent, since I'll be attending Monday's practice round of The Masters next April.

I love photography. I don't have room for it now, but next time I move, I want to have a space that I can create my own darkroom. There's something very soothing and almost magical about developing your own pictures.

The opinions expressed herein are strictly personal and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of my employer.

• I'm going to (determined to) complete "A Case Based Introduction to Biostatistics" on Coursera. Also trying to put together a blog series on building and consuming a data warehouse with some public data available out there. Finishing up dance lessons this week, looking forward to "A Brief History of Humankind" on Coursera, and reading a bit to make sure I can the most I can out of the two precons I signed up for before SQL PASS in October.

• For the first time in years I'm looking forward to some free time. I want to pick up my guitar again, but also I want to make a functioning cube. I always get so close then a heavy project falls on me...

• Ralph Hightower (8/2/2013)

I'll continue with photography as a outlet to C# programming. I am in a very small minority in the local camera club since I'm the only one that hasn't gone digital. I also want to improve my golf photography skills, which is nonexistent, since I'll be attending Monday's practice round of The Masters next April.

I'm green with envy on both counts!

My grandmother was a photographer with studio and darkroom at home - she was a very happy woman and enjoyed a lucrative career that kept her working into her 80's. She did some aerial work, some portrait work and but mainly weddings.

I'm sure I could have lured her into golf if I had played when I was younger.

• I'm anxious to see The Masters in person. My wife and I used to visit her father and step-mom on The Masters weekends and watch it with them.

The Masters is such a visually stunning course on TV and on the web that I can't imagine what it looks like in person.

On photography, I am still using my Canon A-1 camera that I bought new 33 years ago. I have gotten my money's worth from the camera and it still works.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply