The Counter Offer - Part 1

• If someone is looking for a job elsewhere then they have already mentally left. They have chosen to leave and are in the process of doing so. To accept a counter offer means that either they didn't discuss their issues with the current job with their supervisor beforehand OR they did and nothing was done until an ultimatum was handed to them. The former is on the employee and is a risky prospect as there is no way to know if they employer is being fair or not. The later is on the employers and I would say never the time to accept a a counter offer.

If an offer comes out of the blue when someone isn't looking then, perhaps, it is reasonable for them to have a discussion with their current employer. If the employer cannot handle a mature discussion then it is time to leave whilst if they can then it is possible that both employee and employer want to maintain the status quo (with a mutually acceptable alteration in terms). Or the employer might negotiate a smoother exit e.g. long exit period.

In short, my guideline would be to never accept the counter off. But note that it is a guideline and under some circumstances it may be a reasonable situation to seriously consider it.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Never ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever accept a counter-offer. It will make you look bad and it's unethical.

• robert-1156487 wrote:

Never ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever accept a counter-offer. It will make you look bad and it’s unethical.

In my opinion, it's only [unethical] if we never intended to accept the first job offer and went through the motions of perusing the new job for sole purpose of gaining leverage with our current employer. So, that would be dishonest and thus unethical.

From the perspective of an employer seeking a new hire, it's common and normal to have a candidate back out of an offer, which is why they typically want to have two or three qualified candidates lined up.

It's generally the 3rd party recruiter facilitating the process who gets bent out of shape about it.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Great article Andy. Your point of "knowing why you're looking" is well stated. And, as others have said, if you can figure that out, have a conversation with your current employer FIRST and perhaps avoid the uncomfortable position of counter- and counter-counter offers.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by  IowaDave.
  • How about this: You like the job you currently have but even though you liked your original salary after 3 years of 2.5 - 3% raises you now feel that you're falling behind the market. You don't really want to leave so you need to ask for "market adjustment" if you don't have another offer in your hand that will be a baseless conversation: "I feel I'm worth more" - "Oh really, why, and how much more?" When you have another offer in your hand you can easily answer "why?" and "how much?".

Now, I've heard arguments that it shows disloyalty and may be followed by repercussions. But your conversation should not be give me more money or else... You can say how it is truthfully - You like it here and don't want to leave but you believe that you are worth more and you have something to show for how much more. You see what's happening here - I'm not threatening to leave I'm asking for a raise based on the good information.

A bit about the other side. Most jobs start with a written offer and that's what you would use. Then, since you've never accepted, there are no burnt bridges.

• This is very timely for me; I literally just got a ping from a recruiter that I was working with a year ago when I got my current job. I took my current job knowing that it was a dip in salary and under my skill level, but it's been great having the chance to work with this team. They're all great and laid-back, and it is highly encouraged to not kill yourself for a deadline. In fact, there are very few hard deadlines.

What this all means is that I love my job, but I know I'm worth more. However, I accepted a smaller salary for the people, and my boss's coworker strongly hinted to me that I shouldn't expect much, if any, progression in pay or in workload. I got a great 1-year review from my boss, but the arcane system that the corporation uses to decide raises gave me less than what I would consider a cost-of-living increase. He said he wished it was more, but implied that he didn't have much choice in the process.

So, I'm trying to figure out what happens if this ping turns into a job offer. The job is listed at a much higher pay rate than what I'm at right now; in line with what I should be getting paid for my skill set, but it also includes more responsibility than my current job. So it's not a straight comparison, and I'm not sure how it would sound to say, "I'd like a different job title and more responsibility so that you can pay me more."

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Interesting discussion.

In my past, when I'm ready to leave, I'm ready to leave., No amount of money or title change can fix that.

If I'm looking, there is definitely some problem that either I do not care enough to fix or I'm tired of the environment.

If your current employer makes a counter offer, in my mind that is a double edged sword.

1. They know you have looked in the past

2. Are you on some phantom list for a RIF in the future?

3. Are they just making the counter-offer to get through some task or upcoming task, then they will let you go

4. Will future raises, bonuses, etc... be less because they know you are not satisfied.

Paranoia, no. But human nature does not like to be hurt.

I think that once you make a decision to leave, you just need to move on.

• I've not been fortunate enough to be in the situation you've described, Andy. I'll follow this thread with interest.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• In my 42 years in IT, I never accepted a counter offer. I think it is pretty much exposing yourself to blackmail, and yes, being on the top of the list to be terminated. Employer now knows you are potentially leaving, possibly disillusioned or unenthusiastic, etc.

I guess my response would be, 'If I'm worth more today, why wasn't I worth more yesterday?'

• This reply was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by  skeleton567.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• For myself, if I am looking for a new job it's because I've tried and failed to get my current one improved. Any counter offer would therefor be questioned as if they could offer that, why hadn't they during earlier?

• Depends on the situation and how you handle it. This is a true story and it happened to me a couple of years ago. I got a call from a reputable local recruiter about the new shiny opportunity.

I went for an interview and got an offer in writing after which I’ve asked my boss for a few minutes of his time at the and of the day when I showed him the offer in a way “look what just got in my inbox”. It’s the attitude you have at that time that matters the most because it says about who you are, so be honest and focus on the good stuff.

I said that I like the team (which I do) and that the job is great but that the new place offers more challenges and room for growth ($$$). I said that $$$ is important due to (insert your reason here; a better school for kids, house, etc.)

If your boss likes you and your work you will have options. You don’t want to have a “flight risk” label on you. Long story short, my situation bubbled up all the way up to the president with whom I met the next day. He discovered that I have DW experience and that I am not just a vanilla DBA. My tittle got bumped up, pay too, worked on a great DW project and got a bonus as well. Everyone happy and no bad mojo in the team cuz I wasn’t bragging about leaving or whatnot and I kept it to myself. Don’t forget to write a Thank you note.

Sometimes it’s about market adju$$tment. If you are burned out or you brag about leaving then just leave.

Don’t’ forget that the green lawn across the street may be artificial.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply