Thanking the Volunteers

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Thanking the Volunteers

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I have wondered more than once if it is time to change to virtual SQLSaturdays.  It would save the presenters needing to travel at their own expense, and might allow for an easier delivery - not to mention that we could attend any virtual conference, anywhere in the world.  Is that something under consideration?

• As someone who used to coordinate over 750 trade shows, conferences, and workshops every year, I can appreciate the work that goes into organizing these events.

”Behind every successful general is a logistician who says, ‘you can’t do that.’”

• Thank you to all the volunteers!

I hope it doesn't switch to virtual.  There are enough virtual "classes" online.   Not only do you learn things at these events, you get to network face to face as well.  Not to mention, meet some of your mentors in person, like Steve Jones.

The fact that they are "local" and free.  Some companies do not support the cost and travel of the larger events.

• PASS hosts a whole bunch of different virtual events year round, 24 Hours of PASS and the PASS Marathons. Plus there are the virtual chapters that meet monthly. I suppose we could hold a virtual SQLSaturday event too, but it won't be the same. A big, big part of any SQLSaturday is the direct interaction and networking with your peers. If anything, that should be even more important than the sessions. However, this is certainly something we could do. There has been a SQLSaturday on every day of the week. We've had one on almost all the continents (I'm still trying to figure out how we could deliver one from Antarctica) and in a very large number of countries (not sure how many) and almost all 50 states. It may be time for a virtual one as well.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Even if we do a virtual SQLSaturday, I'm positive the local events would continue. While a lot of people want to have big events with a host of international speakers, I think most people are quite happy to have a small to mid-sized event with mostly local speakers. It's not about getting Tom LaRock at the event. It's about sharing knowledge and networking. This works perfectly well for small, local, events.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• sgordon-911607 wrote:

Thank you to all the volunteers!

I hope it doesn't switch to virtual.  There are enough virtual "classes" online.   Not only do you learn things at these events, you get to network face to face as well.  Not to mention, meet some of your mentors in person, like Steve Jones.

The fact that they are "local" and free.  Some companies do not support the cost and travel of the larger events.

I agree, virtual is nice and I've attended several events that way because that was the only way I could. But SQLSaturdays I love, in large part due to being able to meet with people face to face and network. Thanks!

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• I agree re. the networking, etc. being a good thing.  I was curious about the possibility of virtualization because in my area (St. Louis), we haven't been able to have a SQLSaturday in quite awhile, and I have wondered if these more local events were starting to die out due to the incredible amount of work involved on the part of the volunteers and presenters.  But I wasn't considering 24 Hours of PASS, etc., which really are good online resources as well.

• What is the chance of getting an SQL Saturday in Birmingham, AL?  There are a lot of us over here

• ksoliver.al wrote:

What is the chance of getting an SQL Saturday in Birmingham, AL?  There are a lot of us over here

Just gotta find a volunteer to do the organizing and you're off.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Sounds a good idea to volunteer and make a contribution.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply