Tax Day

• Oh man..., of all people to argue this point with...    I love it when you follow my replies and make my code, (or answers) more elegant or precise..., but in this instance, I think you are way off.... 

Even in quotes, (and I understand now what you meant by putting the "government's money" in quotes) the underlying attitude is something I believe is seriously flawed in our public.  We have gotten to the point where we believe so many taxes are justified. 

Social Security was NEVER supposed to be retirement, (FDR has Presidential notes indicating investment in the stock market would be preferable) and yet it is now part of the fabric of America.  Taxes and both parties use of our money has also become a national fabric and something NO politician is willing to give up.  The Republicans swept the nation - both in DC and in States - yet they are spending like drunken soldiers... 

Taxes, (individual taxes) began with Lincoln to pay for the war.  They were supposed to be temporary - yeah, right....  Then, they started being taken out of our paychecks, so we never noticed.  Taxes, (by the Constitution) are to be paid in gold or silver, ONLY!  We are also only to be taxed on monies made abroad - not within the USA.    This stuff is actually there, but no one will ever speak of it, least the IRS come after them and take their property!  By "their property", I mean the Government's property.  You see, in America, you cannot own anything...    If the "Government" can take due to "back" taxes, you do not own it..., they do.   

Okay, time for a revolution?     I don't think so...  But I do believe it is time we started teaching ourselves and our kids the truth.  The government has very specific responsibilities and 90% of our money goes to other things that are not under the government's rubric.  If we were to start holding our politicians feet to the fire about this stuff, what a remarkable change we could make....    Imagine this; taxes no longer taken from your paycheck and on April 15th we were all accountable for the $ we owed!  Boy, that would change the face of this nation, and quick!!!

Obviously this is the Readers Digest version of my rant....  

I wasn't born stupid - I had to study.

• Dang Farrell, you sound like me! You are a Libertarian (not a Republican)  and just don't know it...   You're right, the Republicans are out of control spenders. I can't believe it. I thought they were supposed to be limited, even reducing, the size of govt, but guess what... they are NOT!!! They stand for a govt almost as large as the Dems. It's sickening. Take this small quiz (literally less than one minute to take) to prove it:

http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz.html

-Vic

• Farrell,

I don't think we're in disagreement at all, and that's what I was trying to point out.  In my initial post, it was all about who (me or the gov't) was earning the interest on MY money over the course of the year.  My focus in that post was not really whose money it is, because I think we all agree that it is ours, but that if you're unhappy that your refund is not as large as mine, you can change it.

In short, I don't think we're arguing any point. At least not with each other, because we're arguing two completely different, if not unrelated points.

Steve

• I would be Libertarian in a nano-second if they would change their stance on abortion.  This is definately not the forum to get into that subject...  

I think most of the Libertarian views are excellent and I was sorry to see Brown go - he REALLY knew his Federalism and was incredible to hear articulate!!

I wasn't born stupid - I had to study.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply