(SSIS 2012) Excel Destination Columns Added After Data Flow Task Already Designed

• Working on an SSIS 2012 project for a client.

The project basically finds and loops through a bunch of incoming Excel file, does ETL on each Excel file, and places the transformed/cleaned data into individual Excel template files that just have column headers in them until the data from each Excel file is imported into the template files.

The Excel template file that's serving as the Excel Destination is generally staying the same as far as the number and order of columns expecting incoming data, but it is changing occasionally as my client finalizes what fields of data they want to be able to be captured in the template files.

So, for simplicity, let's say the package and associated data flow tasks are designed at present with these 3 fields in place in the Excel template file:

--- Name

--- Social Security #

--- Phone #

If my client decides after everything's already been designed that they also want to add a 4th column ("Date of Birth") to the Excel template file, I'm seemingly having to recreate all components involved in the data flow tasks in order to be able to refresh and see/map this new "Date of Birth" column.

It would seem to me that there should be an easy way to refresh the items (specifically the Excel Destination object that shows the columns from the underlying Excel template file) to where once the "Date of Birth" field has been added to the Excel template file, I can then easily open the Excel Destination object that maps to this underlying Excel template file and I suddenly see the presence of this newly-added "Date of Birth" field.

What am I missing here? It's causing me a great slowdown to have to delete and rebuild each object involved within each of numerous data flow tasks just to be able to see/use/map a newly-added column from the Excel template file.

Many thanks for any info. here.

• Brad,

There is no other way. You have to refresh the components, to make the additional column appear.

---
    SSIS Tasks Components Scripts Services | http://www.cozyroc.com/

• Brad,

You do not have to recreate anything. You can edit each data flow, including the associated connections, to add the required column.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• You have to touch everything that depends on that data stream so that it knows what to do with that new column.

----------------------------------------------------

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply