SSIS 2012 & 2005

• I was looking for a form in 2012 SSIS to post this but had posted in the General form, I don't know if this is the correct place:

How can I get my 2005 SSIS packages to my 2012 SQL server without recreating them. The 2005 SSIS packages are stored in msdb (because they were not created in sql, instead Visual Studio). Will I have to export them to BIDS (as .dtsx) and then import them to my 2012 SQL server, If I do that would they still exists there but I would have just a copy of them. I would like my packages to keep running on my 2k5 server until I'm able to test them on my 2012 server. Any suggestions is appreciated, thank you.

• You will have to export them to DTSX files. The export is a non-destructive process in that the package is not removed or changed in MSDB. However, it is important to recognize that "sensitive" information such as usernames and passwords may NOT survive the export. Depending on the package protection level this information may not be there to begin with.

As for importing them into your SQL Server, that is not required to run them, you can choose to to do but they can also be run directly from the file system with no problems. The company I work for doesn't, we have a standard structure in a particular location for SSIS packages, config, support apps, and any needed data. The downside is that it isn't backed up with SQL but it was easier for us to manage.

CEWII

• Thank you for the suggestion, if I take a backup of the 2k5 msdb database and restore it to the 2012 msdb database that should put the SSIS package on the server as well.

• kd11 (10/14/2015)

Thank you for the suggestion, if I take a backup of the 2k5 msdb database and restore it to the 2012 msdb database that should put the SSIS package on the server as well.

ABSOLUTELY UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES restore an earlier version of msdb to a current version! It will end badly and you will either end up restoring your last copy of the original msdb or starting over. Don't do it.

CEWII

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply