SQL2000 - Replication within Clusters

• I am using Windows AS2k SP2 and SQL Server 2000 SP1. I have 2 questions...

First, how can replicate between the servers? For example, I have to access other databases on regular basis to get updates, but I also have internet traffic that will be effecting my database all the time. My question is how can I replicate between the databases? They need to be identical all the time or at least very near 100%. Maybe I just dont fully understand Active/Active - it sounds like it is the way I want to go. I know that SQL 6.5 included some replicating features in it, but I can not find much documentation on it.

Second, b/c of budget constraints I am forced to put Active Directory on the SQL Servers - does this effect my cluster set up in terms of Active/Passive -vs- Active/Active?

Thanks for your help.

IronClad26

• On a cluster, the clustered server has only one copy of the db. It is shared between teh servers but only availabel through the virtual server. If you have other databases on one box that are not clustered on the other, it looks like another server.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Just so we're on the same page (using 2 servers, extrapolate for more)...

Active/Passive - 2 servers, 1 actively responding to requests addressed to the virtual server, the other in standby mode should the first one go down.

Active/Active - 2 servers, 2 instances running on each server. 1 is required to be a named instance. For instance, transaction database on VirtualServer1 (default instance) and warehousing database on VirtualServer2\NamedInstance.

When you set up a clustered instance of SQL Server 2000, you define a shared storage space. Therefore, should the SQL Server that was responding to requests stop responding and the other server take over, it uses the same shared storage space.

From a licensing issue, if I remember right, the last time MS updated their licensing agreements, you have to pay for only 1 license (# of processors, CALs, what have you, 1 set, in other words) for Active/Passive, but in the case of Active/Active, since you have two active instances of SQL Server running, you need two sets of licenses. Again, extrapolate for those hardy souls that are running Active/Active/*.

K. Brian Kelley

bk@warpdrivedesign.org

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bkelley/

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply