SQL views

• Data_God (8/1/2013)

Just to be clear, in my previous reply, the view definition in syscomments can be de-obfuscated in SQL Server 2000 for those of us who are still having to maintain very old systems that can only be run on SQL 2000. (Yes, we have two applications that our company depends upon that can only be run on SQL 2000). I would love to retire these systems but the powers that be in the company insist that we must keep these systems around because they find them so useful and are "deathly afraid of change".

No, that never happens! 🙂 Thanks for your posts. Got more out of them than the QotD.

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

• Thanks for a really easy one, Naseer!

• Dave62 (8/1/2013)

Thanks for the question.

Here's an interesting read on the use of VIEW DEFINITION permissions instead of encryption.

Options For Hiding SQL Server Code[/url]

Enjoy!

+1

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Revenant (8/1/2013)

Thanks for a really easy one, Naseer!

And a great reminder as well!

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• Data_God (8/1/2013)

It should be pointed out though that just because you create a view WITH ENCRYPTION, it is still possible for users with the appropriate permissions to see the definition of the view.

Are you sure about that? Which permissions, and how can they see the definition?

• Thanks Guys...! 🙂

Best,
    Naseer Ahmad
    SQL Server DBA

• By encrypting a view, you help prevent all users (regardless of database privileges), including yourself, from ever seeing the view definition. Thus, you will not be able to alter the view definition. Choose OK to save the view in encrypted form. Choose Cancel to cancel the Save operation.

• Nice and easy one..

Thanks..

• Good Question. Answer is really easy one.Thanks:smooooth:

• Pretty easy one. Thanks a lot. 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply